Bikini Portraits. How did I do?

julianliu

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.cornerstoneimage.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I went out with a model to shoot some bikini shots in the mountains with rocks rather than with water thinking it's kind of different. What do you think about these photos? Anything good or bad?

untitled-11.jpg
untitled-62.jpg
untitled-89.jpg
untitled-98.jpg
untitled-105.jpg
untitled-160.jpg
untitled-176.jpg
untitled-181.jpg
untitled-215.jpg
untitled-247.jpg
untitled-259.jpg
untitled-269.jpg
untitled-273.jpg
untitled-275.jpg

What, only 14 shots? :048:
Looks like you did alright, and used the light well enough. If anything, I think more depth of field is good to have on shots like these, ones which incorporate a large expanse of landscape, with the model shown full-length. Just a little bit more depth of field is my preference.

It looks like her skin color is inconsistent. Honestly, I think there are too many for a single post.

I like #12 & #13 I think #1, #2 and #11 could benefit by cropping out irrelevant parts of the image, and focus more on the model. Also, the vents in the wall in #2 call too much attention to themselves. The feeling I get in @'s 12 and 13 is that this is a photo of a beautiful woman. In a lot of the others, including the one with the puddle behind her, I get the feeling I'm looking at a model being told to pose. Those I find less interesting than where it looks like you've caught the shot, rather than set it up.

Skin tone might be to warm in the last few, but I think they are nice photos

I think you've over-exposed the first half of these pictures - essentially all of the ones before the one where she's sitting on the park bench. Her upper chest - everything above the bra - is just too washed out.

I'm also not a fan of the army boots. In some settings they might be used to add an element of irony or absurdity, but I'm not getting it here.

On the last two, it appears one is a crop of the other. I think the cropped version looks better. It makes her stand out better, but it also somewhat paradoxically makes the background stand out better as well. I might have cooled the image down a little, but that's more a matter of taste.

These look like they were taken along the Front Range in Colorado - maybe the Garden of the Gods in Colorado Springs???

there are too many for me to give you an in depth detailed critique but what jumps out to me immediately to me on all the images is a total lack of central focal point.

Now that's a trick, to get one's viewer's eyes to go where you want them to. Subject placement and light manipulation are the key.

I like your subject, are we close?:D

Something really cool and creative could have been done with the harsh shadow of her against the rail.

What, only 14 shots? :048:
Looks like you did alright, and used the light well enough. If anything, I think more depth of field is good to have on shots like these, ones which incorporate a large expanse of landscape, with the model shown full-length. Just a little bit more depth of field is my preference.

I shot about 300 shots but I think you just probably do not want to all shots, do you?

Wouldn't more depth of field will drown the subject into the background and make it worse regarding to emphasize the subject? As Trever below already mentioned "total lack of central focal point"?

It looks like her skin color is inconsistent. Honestly, I think there are too many for a single post.

You can always skip looking at the photos if there are too many, right? I thought people won't complain browsing bikini girls... turns out I was wrong :02.47-tranquillity:
I agree that her skin tone was inconsistent.

I like #12 & #13 I think #1, #2 and #11 could benefit by cropping out irrelevant parts of the image, and focus more on the model. Also, the vents in the wall in #2 call too much attention to themselves. The feeling I get in @'s 12 and 13 is that this is a photo of a beautiful woman. In a lot of the others, including the one with the puddle behind her, I get the feeling I'm looking at a model being told to pose. Those I find less interesting than where it looks like you've caught the shot, rather than set it up.

I like the last several shots you mentioned as well.
I also like dead space of a photo :) that explains #1, #2, #11 particularly when I like the background.
So you like the pose that's set up rather than caught up? I thought the latter ones look more spontaneous.

I think you've over-exposed the first half of these pictures - essentially all of the ones before the one where she's sitting on the park bench. Her upper chest - everything above the bra - is just too washed out.

I'm also not a fan of the army boots. In some settings they might be used to add an element of irony or absurdity, but I'm not getting it here.

On the last two, it appears one is a crop of the other. I think the cropped version looks better. It makes her stand out better, but it also somewhat paradoxically makes the background stand out better as well. I might have cooled the image down a little, but that's more a matter of taste.

These look like they were taken along the Front Range in Colorado - maybe the Garden of the Gods in Colorado Springs???

Good point about overexposing. I like a little overexposed photos but I think a little tone down would look better.

Army boots? I like them, lol

They are taken in Red rock amphitheater in Denver area. Do you live in this area?

Most reactions

Back