Blue Springs Manatee Encounter

ceeboy14

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
$8667349297_a1541d0bf5_o.jpg

Nice shot! I used to snorkel Crystal River in the winter... lots of Manatees. Lovely creatures... the babies are really beautiful!

Great shot. Wonder if Cir polarizing would have shown the manatee more We visited Cristal River 2 years ago. Most of the Manatee's had left but saw a few. Nice shot. Ed

CPL may have worked better but it was in the car and the moment wasn't going to wait. I think the clarity is pretty strong but more because the water is so clear than any other factor. All the dark "lines" are actually Florida and Needle-nosed Gar. There were people snorkling in this spring as well but just around the bend in the river there were some right hefty gators looking for lunch. Didn't give me any reason to join either.

CPL may have worked better but it was in the car and the moment wasn't going to wait. I think the clarity is pretty strong but more because the water is so clear than any other factor. All the dark "lines" are actually Florida and Needle-nosed Gar. There were people snorkling in this spring as well but just around the bend in the river there were some right hefty gators looking for lunch. Didn't give me any reason to join either.

Yea.. the gators put some people off, but they don't bother me much in clear water. Murky water is a whole different story. In murky water, they can't see me well enough to know I am not their usual prey.

I shot this guy about 250 feet from the kayaker. He was in deeper water and it was darker water, but his presence could be sensed the whole time I was shooting near the water's edge. I've seen more than my fair share of these guys at the springs at Wakualla Springs to know they really don't mind clear, cold water. This one was easily 9 foot, maybe ten. His head, from snout to where it disappears into the water is about 24 or so inches.

$gator.jpg

Most reactions

New Topics

Back