Bombay Hook National Wildlife Refuge - DE

lvcrtrs

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Tried to make use of the nice weather on Sunday before the clouds and rain returned. Never been here before. Long ride for us, 1 1/2 hours each way. Not so much going on, but they say mid-April the Spring critter start the big return. Saw a few things and need help with one ID. I think I had the CPL on most of the time. It really worked for the fish shots. All with the 70-300. Some are really big crops.

1. Anyone know?
Waterbird8366resized1000.jpg

2. Tree Swallows? Closest thing I could find on the web.
TreeSwallows8377resized1000.jpg

3. Red winged blackbird
RedwingedBlackbird8363resized1000.jpg

4. GBH in flight
GBHinflight8357resized1000.jpg

5. GBH
GBH8403resized1000.jpg

Flowersflys8379resized1000.jpg

7. We could hear and see splashing out in the marsh. Figured it was fish. They must be in some really shallow areas when do that.
Fishsplashing8390resized1000.jpg

8. Again, don't know what kind of fish, but at these control gates that let water in/out the marshes from the DE bay were tons of fish. The water was coming out and they were all going against it.
Fish8354resized.jpg

First one is a yellow legs I dont know if its greater or lesser, #2 is tree swallows like you thought. Good shots, i like the composition in 5.

Great Shots especially the last one

Very nice shots. If its not too far for you Edwin B. Forsythe NWR near Atlantic City NJ has some great stuff too. I've been there twice and plan on going back again soon.

scubbabear - you're right, I had called the refuge and asked them and they had said carp!
Jafo - I wrote down your info on EBF NWR. I always have a "summer things to do" file to go to for weekends so I really appreciate the info.

Man, that many carp on the refuge is a huge problem. . .wonder why they aren't attempting to get rid of them?? Maybe they are, but damn. . .Nice pics by the way. . .

I love the second egret shot, but this photo is very nice and unique. Very nice capture!!!:thumbup:

Flowersflys8379resized1000.jpg

Thanks bplarge, these are the ones that make me astounded at the 70-300. I couldn't believe I could actually see detail in the flying bugs. One other time it grabbed on to a spider in all but darkness and did well. But being greedy I really can't wait for someone to post some pics and reviews on the Sigma 50-500 OS. That extra distance would really come in handy a lot of times.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back