Bought a SanDisk Extreme IV 8gb card today. *question

Hooligan Dan

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
The only other cards I use are 1 gig and I never look at the capacity of them, but I was just formatting the card with my computer because when I formatted it in my D300 is still seemed to have less space than it should(the total number of allowed images was smaller than normal).

Anyway, I noticed after I formatted it that the card's properties says the max capacity is only 1.99 gigs. Anybody know what this is about because I'm a bit confused.

So I called the San disc guys after formatting it on both the canon and nikon I used today and on my computer. He said that if formatting in on the computer didn't take it back to the full 8 gigs then there is something wrong with the card and I should return it.

So I called the San disc guys after formatting it on both the canon and nikon I used today and on my computer. He said that if formatting in on the computer didn't take it back to the full 8 gigs then there is something wrong with the card and I should return it.

It may be a file system thing.
Try formatting it on your computer, and in the dialog window choose FAT32 instead if just FAT.
FAT only goes to 2GB.
Then again, are you sure your camera(s) support cards that are bigger than that?

It may be a file system thing.
Try formatting it on your computer, and in the dialog window choose FAT32 instead if just FAT.
FAT only goes to 2GB.
Then again, are you sure your camera(s) support cards that are bigger than that?

I will try the Fat32 format. Thanks for the help. And it worked fine in my D300 all day. It wasn't until I shot with the canon that it dropped down to 1.99 GB.

EDIT* Formating as FAT32 worked. Thanks, Fidel :)

Most reactions

Back