Completely Counter-dependent
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
www.lewlortonphoto.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Boy and the ball on the porch

There is a dog there too, hidden behind the post.
Immediately after I took this picture, the dog took after me in a very inhospitable way.

I have posted a request for comments in the themes forum 'request for Critique'

Camera Model: NIKON D200 24-70 Nikkor - a magical lens
Image Date: 2008:05:04 17:24:47
Flash Used: No
Focal Length: 52.0mm (35mm equivalent: 78mm)
Exposure Time: 0.025 s (1/40)
Aperture: f/5.6
ISO equiv: 100
Exposure Bias: -0.33
White Balance: Auto
Metering Mode: Matrix
Exposure: aperture priority (semi-auto)

boyball_DSC768103277edsmall.jpg

I've been looking at this for a while. I really like the color and texture of the tin roof, awning and peeled paint, the degradation of the house and the unspoken story of a boy and his ball. It looks like the past winters method of insulation with plastic hasn't been removed for this spring. The post on the far right is not a distortion at 52mm, it is that much of a lean.

There's something that I can't quite put my finger on that doesn't appeal to me. Perhaps it's either cropped too much or not enough. Meaning that it looks a bit flat to me. Whereas, if the entire frontage of the house was shown, it may give a more complete meaning to the image or if it were cropped more, the boy and his ball would be a more prominent subject. I think the tell-tale for me at it's current crop is the truncated rocker on the left.

It's a very nice photo nonetheless, I just hope that I am not too far off the mark in trying to explain why IMO, it is only a nice photo.

BTW, I love that lens as well.

Thank you both for your comments.
I spent a fair amount of time trying to decide how to crop this - or not - and because I wanted to have the detail of the boy show up, ended up cropping it.

Here are slightly larger, uncropped versions for you to look at.

fullcolordsc768103277edqy8.jpg

fullbwdsc768103277edpe7.jpg

Diaboloque,

That crop may be better.
I wish I could post it full-size, the detail is almost infinite.

Edit: I think it is definitely better

The tin roof is great. Your attempt at composition is great. The kid w/the ball si great.

HOwever, these elements together in this picture don't do it for me. I think if the kid had been leaning against one of those posts staring straight at you holding that ball, it would have been a fabulous shot.

If he wasn't there at all, same thing.

something about it is a little snapshotish even though its greatly composed and the colors are perfect. Something is off.

Ahh, I can see your delima now. It's a tough call.

Since Dio did it and you seem to be okay with it, here's one to show the entire awning. It doesn't accentuate the boy and his ball though.....
traveller-2_edited-1.jpg

And did you consider a portrait orientation?
traveller-1_edited-1.jpg

Hope you don't mind. I do enjoy seeing your posts here and elsewhere.

to try and get this theme going, I broke my vow not to post pictures on TPF and posted this one.

thanks for your comments -and marvelous suggestions on crop) and its now up to you guys if you want to use this thread.

Lew

I hope you don't mind my playing with your image as well. This is my spin: It's 1955, rural NY and that's my chubby friend going in for a glass of water. A good image tells a story...yours told me that.
TheTraveler.jpg

Most reactions

New Topics

Back