Brick Lighthouse

Murray Bloom

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.murraybloomphoto.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Another Block Island shot. An interesting thing about this building is that it was recently moved about fifty yards - intact - when the cliff on which it sat eroded.

BrickLighthouseb.jpg

Beautiful frame and colors.
The composition is great and the place is so beautiful-very sharp image.
Well Done!
Keep up,
Nir .B.

Very nicely done. HDR by any chance, or did the lighting just really cooperate with you?

Would you mind elaborating on your post production? I'd really like to learn.

Very nice picture! Interesting thing about the lighthouse being moved. There is a lighthouse on the Outer Banks in North Carolina that was moved for an eroding sandbar if I remember correctly. I even got to see pictures of the moving project. Very cool!

Would you mind elaborating on your post production? I'd really like to learn.
Okay, here's the high points.

First thing is to adjust Levels to ensure a full tonal range. Next is a trip through Shadow/Highlight (advanced settings) to condense the tones toward the middle of the spectrum. At this point, I try for something that looks heavy but not oversaturated. This is followed by local clean-up, such as closing holes in the clouds, removing bare patches from the ground and the occasional piece of trash. Then some selective burning and dodging. Also cloned out some background clutter to the right of the building.

Now, I run it through Levels again, and sometimes Curves, to rebalance things if needed. A touch of sharpening with Unsharp Mask, and if I'm posting on the web, treatment with Digital Velvia.

Actually, I did a lot more to this one, but that's the basics. Hope this helps.

Thanks, yes it does. Certainly somewhere to start from for some of my own post-processing attempts.

Oh yeah, I forgot to say that it all begins with an interesting subject and good exposure. Shooting in RAW helps, too.

This one was shot with a D200/17-55mm. 1/45s@f11 at 22mm, handheld.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back