Title: Busy Beaver

Beaver-49.jpg

Location & Date: Hinton, Alberta | August, 2014

Camera Set-Up: Nikon D800 w/ Nikon 70-200 2.8 at 200mm

Shutter Speed: 1/800

Aperture: 2.8

ISO: 3200

Note:

During a dry spell in Jasper National Park, I decided to explore a few areas outside of the park, including this remarkable beaver lodge/dam system in the town of Hinton. As the sun began to set, I was treated to an hour long construction project one busy beaver was leading to repair a leak in a critical dam. What was especially unique was the fact I could get on eye level with the beaver – I was flat on my stomach on the boardwalk – and have it appear that the beaver is coming into my lens, with his mouth full of dam building materials (the leak was right below me). The shoot was one of my absolute favourites of all time.

Very nice shot. Congratulations !

What beady little eyes you have!

Nice shot. I am surprised that you could get so close. They must be accustomed to people walking around while they are "working".

WersternGuy

Thanks so much, Raj, Hunter and Western Guy!
They must be accustomed to people walking around while they are "working".
This was at a "Beaver Boardwalk" in Hinton, Alberta. They were very used to people walking around the boardwalk watching them. This guy also seemed so into his work, and we were very still that he continued on.

So what's a guy from GTA doing in Hinton, other than watching beavers and snapping candid photos of them?

I must remember this place, the next time I am passing through there.

WesternGuy

My husband Simon and I head to the Rockies to do photography every summer. I'm a teacher, so I enjoy two months off every summer.

This area, just outside of Jasper is quite neat. HIghway 40, en route to Hinton from Jasper also has a healthy population of bighorn rams. Worth checking out as well, if you are in the area.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back