Buying off ebay...

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by jbeanv, May 31, 2009.

1. jbeanv

jbeanv TPF Noob!

I'm getting ready to buy my first SLR (planning on a D60). Anyone have luck on Ebay? Any package I've found has a lot added that I don't really know if I need. The one I'm looking at now is $570. Comes with the body and everything in the original box. Plus a Nikon 18-55mm, telephoto lens, wide angle lens, tripods, a bad, memory card and a few more things.

Am I better off just buying the items sepearte? I'm afraid all the extras will be junk.

TIA!

2. ANDS!

ANDS! No longer a newbie, moving up!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Everything but the 18-55MM and the body is no doubt going to be junk. The telephoto lens might be "ok", but not worth much.

3. Dao

Dao No longer a newbie, moving up!

Most of extra items I seen in the past in those package were junk.

4. icassell

icassell TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    If you do buy off e-bay, make sure you are getting items that were released for the US market. There is alot of 'grey market' stuff sold out there and the manufacturers won't honor the warranty. I would be cautious when it came to buying a new body on e-bay. I reserve it for used equipment (and there are many that stay away from that as well).

Ian

5. WSxHype

WSxHype TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I actually Bought the exact same model and package at a place in Calgary, Alberta new for 100$ extra! I was astonished at the price and immediately jumped on the opportunity to own one, it was the first one that i own to this date

6. doylie

doylie TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I bought a D60 off of ebay just the body and a 55-200mm lens and it's been great! Like said before, just do lots of checking out the seller and make sure it's all US market.

7. grant

grant TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I haven't bought camera eq off ebay, but definitely alot of electronics. Just make sure you do your research. Double check model numbers and descriptions. As someone said, some of the items are knockoffs and while they'll state that, it can be deceiving...especially if you rush to buy something.

I've always felt better buying from a 'normal' person off ebay then any of the package deals.

And .... if its too good to be true - it probably is

8. ANDS!

ANDS! No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    "Grey" market items aren't knockoffs. As for Nikon not honoring the warranty, this is true - however you can still send an item in for servicing should something happen to it. It's not like youre SOL should you buy a grey market item for less, and something happens to it - ESPECIALLY a lens considering the number of Nikon approved repair sites in the country.

9. Josh220

Josh220 No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Does that mean the "imported" items on B&H fall under this category as well, and are not covered under warranty unless you purchase the "USA" items?

10. benlonghair

benlonghair TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I just bought a D60 body off Ebay (which I also grabbed the 18-55mm kit lens with as well) from Cameta Camera and was very happy with the service.

That's not to say you can't have a bad experience. I'm a big fan of only buying from people not only with good feedback but also with a lot of feedback.

11. inTempus

inTempus TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Just buy through a reputable dealer like B&H Photo or Adorama. Seriously, the $10 you save buying from these junk peddlers on eBay isn't worth the savings if you need to get support or service.

Rule #1: Avoid eBay at all costs
    Rule #2: Buy from reputable dealers, you'll thank me later

12. Andrew Boyd

Andrew Boyd TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Buying camera gear off ebay is just like buying anything else on ebay: proceed with great caution. If the seller has a 100% satisfaction rating and has made lots of sales, you're probably ok. But I'd look for a quality seller with perfect stats and just buy the name brand items you need.