Buying off ebay...

jbeanv

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I'm getting ready to buy my first SLR (planning on a D60). Anyone have luck on Ebay? Any package I've found has a lot added that I don't really know if I need. The one I'm looking at now is $570. Comes with the body and everything in the original box. Plus a Nikon 18-55mm, telephoto lens, wide angle lens, tripods, a bad, memory card and a few more things.

Am I better off just buying the items sepearte? I'm afraid all the extras will be junk.

TIA!

Everything but the 18-55MM and the body is no doubt going to be junk. The telephoto lens might be "ok", but not worth much.

Most of extra items I seen in the past in those package were junk.

If you do buy off e-bay, make sure you are getting items that were released for the US market. There is alot of 'grey market' stuff sold out there and the manufacturers won't honor the warranty. I would be cautious when it came to buying a new body on e-bay. I reserve it for used equipment (and there are many that stay away from that as well).

Ian

I actually Bought the exact same model and package at a place in Calgary, Alberta new for 100$ extra! I was astonished at the price and immediately jumped on the opportunity to own one, it was the first one that i own to this date

I bought a D60 off of ebay just the body and a 55-200mm lens and it's been great! Like said before, just do lots of checking out the seller and make sure it's all US market.

I haven't bought camera eq off ebay, but definitely alot of electronics. Just make sure you do your research. Double check model numbers and descriptions. As someone said, some of the items are knockoffs and while they'll state that, it can be deceiving...especially if you rush to buy something.

I've always felt better buying from a 'normal' person off ebay then any of the package deals.

And .... if its too good to be true - it probably is

I haven't bought camera eq off ebay, but definitely alot of electronics. Just make sure you do your research. Double check model numbers and descriptions. As someone said, some of the items are knockoffs and while they'll state that, it can be deceiving...especially if you rush to buy something.

I've always felt better buying from a 'normal' person off ebay then any of the package deals.

And .... if its too good to be true - it probably is

"Grey" market items aren't knockoffs. As for Nikon not honoring the warranty, this is true - however you can still send an item in for servicing should something happen to it. It's not like youre SOL should you buy a grey market item for less, and something happens to it - ESPECIALLY a lens considering the number of Nikon approved repair sites in the country.

Does that mean the "imported" items on B&H fall under this category as well, and are not covered under warranty unless you purchase the "USA" items?

I just bought a D60 body off Ebay (which I also grabbed the 18-55mm kit lens with as well) from Cameta Camera and was very happy with the service.

That's not to say you can't have a bad experience. I'm a big fan of only buying from people not only with good feedback but also with a lot of feedback.

Just buy through a reputable dealer like B&H Photo or Adorama. Seriously, the $10 you save buying from these junk peddlers on eBay isn't worth the savings if you need to get support or service.

Rule #1: Avoid eBay at all costs
Rule #2: Buy from reputable dealers, you'll thank me later

Buying camera gear off ebay is just like buying anything else on ebay: proceed with great caution. If the seller has a 100% satisfaction rating and has made lots of sales, you're probably ok. But I'd look for a quality seller with perfect stats and just buy the name brand items you need.

There are several brick and mortar and established online vendors who sell on eBay. A blanket "eBay is horrible to buy from!" is great because it means less competition for actual inventory out there. With eBays buyer protection for PAYPAL purchases, you are essentially covered in case any wackiness occurs.

There are some good sellers on ebay. One time, I got a refund from a ebay seller. And the refund included the shipping charges in both directions. Can't beat that!

Are there any bad one out there, yes, I am sure.

Does that mean the "imported" items on B&H fall under this category as well, and are not covered under warranty unless you purchase the "USA" items?

Imported items are grey market items yes, and not covered under the USA warranty. There are any number of reasons why grey market is an option not the least of which is it may be cheaper, and the USA marketed item may not be available. The "no warranty" nonsense is just that - nonsense. How many times have you ACTUALLY had an issue with any item you've had that qualified for warranty service? People think just because a grey market item breaks that they are out of luck and its simply not true. If it is a mechanical failure covered under warranty - then you are out of luck. Otherwise you are going to pay exactly what someone with a US warranty has to pay.

Most reactions

Back