Camera advice

DzReal

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm currently thinking about buying a DSLR camera and I'm completely a rookie.

My idea is to buy an outstanding one so I don't need to change it when later I'm skilled. And my friend suggests Canon 5D III.

I have done some digging and now the question is how to choose lens. Two choices are available, 24-70 and 24-105, which is a lot cheaper.

How can I choose?

To go with the 5D III you need the 24-70 and 70-200. The lenses are what you will not need to change when you are skilled, the camera will be a paper weight at that time. I don't know if that is good advise, but it is at least as good as your friend telling you to buy that camera.

I wouldn't jump into anything without a little more research. The 24-70 & 70-200 are indeed top-end lenses, BUT... they're also about $4000 worth of glass, and you need to decide whether or not your use will justify their cost (or the purchase of the 5D III, which is a fairly high-end body.

What sort of subject(s) do you anticipate shooting most?

I wouldn't jump into anything without a little more research. The 24-70 & 70-200 are indeed top-end lenses, BUT... they're also about $4000 worth of glass, and you need to decide whether or not your use will justify their cost (or the purchase of the 5D III, which is a fairly high-end body.

As I said, I'm a rookie now. So I just use it for more fun when traveling alone. The most common subjects are just daily objects like plants, animals, my family and some beautiful scenery.

I'm really into photography, so maybe I'll justify the costs when later I'm skilled.

My idea is to buy an outstanding one so I don't need to change it when later I'm skilled.
The 5DIII is indeed a high-end camera, and if you can afford it, then do it!

I would like to point out, however, that technology progresses very quickly, and what is "top end" in 2015 will be nearly obsolete in 2020. Therefore you should be prepared to upgrade again when you think there is a need.

An alternative plan is to purchase a mid-level camera body, and some excellent lenses which will give you excellent results without spending a fortune. Then when you are more experienced you can purchase the better camera body which may or may not actually be the Canon 5DIII at that point in time.

My idea is to buy an outstanding one so I don't need to change it when later I'm skilled.
The 5DIII is indeed a high-end camera, and if you can afford it, then do it!

I would like to point out, however, that technology progresses very quickly, and what is "top end" in 2015 will be nearly obsolete in 2020. Therefore you should be prepared to upgrade again when you think there is a need.

An alternative plan is to purchase a mid-level camera body, and some excellent lenses which will give you excellent results without spending a fortune. Then when you are more experienced you can purchase the better camera body which may or may not actually be the Canon 5DIII at that point in time.

Thank you for your advice. So what about the lenses? Should I buy 24-70 or 24-105?

As I said, I'm a rookie now. So I just use it for more fun when traveling alone. The most common subjects are just daily objects like plants, animals, my family and some beautiful scenery.

I'm really into photography, so maybe I'll justify the costs when later I'm skilled.

:1219:I've just turned 18 and Im not that handy yet at driving, I do a bit but only go to the supermarket and stuff, but Im real into cars and Im thinking of buying a Ferrari.

:dob:Well if you have the money lad fine but don't come crawling to me when you crash it.

Reactions: Ido
:1219:I've just turned 18 and Im not that handy yet at driving, I do a bit but only go to the supermarket and stuff, but Im real into cars and Im thinking of buying a Ferrari.
I live in Vancouver. There are plenty of teenagers from Beijing living here. Yes they drive Ferraris. The more skilled ones have Lamborghinis. The "poorer" ones have BMWs.

I'm not in the school of if you can afford it, get it. The 5D is indeed a beast of a camera, but it should boil down to your behavior of how you shoot. Having a large camera with large lenses is prohibitive of shooting on a daily basis.

I live in Vancouver. There are plenty of teenagers from Beijing living here. Yes they drive Ferraris. The more skilled ones have Lamborghinis. The "poorer" ones have BMWs.

I was using the teenager and his Ferrari as an analogy to the OP statement about buying the most expensive camera he can buy as his first rather then taking steps up as his skill level increases

I was using the teenager and his Ferrari as an analogy to the OP statement about buying the most expensive camera he can buy as his first rather then taking steps up as his skill level increases
It's his parents' money. He can do anything he likes with it.
I would recommend the Leica DLUX typ 109 though

I jumped in but my mom bought me the camera as a birthday present. I got a Canon Rebel EOS T5 dslr camera and it is awesome. I love the camera. And it came with a lot more stuff too and got a great deal on it. Check out Costco because they might still have the T5 on sale but I'm not sure. It came with a lot of stuff.

Let's think about 100% of the pictures you will want to take in the next say 5 years. My opinion only but I'd say 80% of those photos could be taken with an entry level Canon, 95% with a mid-level pro-consumer Canon and only 5% or less will need the 5D III level camera to be made perfectly.
I'd suggest buying the 24-70 and another longer lens and a less expensive body or if you can afford all for the extra 5% then do it.

I'd actually look at a 6D as opposed to the 5D Mk III. It's still full frame, and is a bit more user friendly for the beginner. Pair that with the 24-105, and you should do alright. I'd spend any extra budget that you have on a good tripod, a flash, and maybe a remote shutter release. Personally, I use a Vanguard ABEO PRO 283CGH, Yongnuo flashes, and just a basic tethered shutter release, and I do alright.

How can I choose?
You can easily choose once you're better educated, and know exactly what you need in a camera.
My typical advice to anyone who wants to start out with amazing gear like this, is to go the other way completely and get a cheap, used camera. It can be any camera you find, as long as it has P, A/Av, S/Tv and M modes. Use it while learning online (the articles on Cambridge in Colour are excellent, but you can learn from many other sources as well), and soon enough you'll know just what you need.
If you're actually going to buy a Canon EOS 5D Mark III kit as your first camera, getting a cheapo camera won't hurt much towards your real camera purchase.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back