Camera Backpacks

Lrodrg11

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I just got a Sony A7III and I'm looking for a backpack for it and as well as a Macbook Pro 13 inch. I haven't really looked at all the options but I saw the "Lowepro Protactic BP 450 AW II" and it seems to be a good backpack for my needs. I know this bag is it a bit big for what I have currently but I'd rather get something big right now instead of later when I have more things (tripod, lenses, filters, batteries,etc.) for my camera. If anyone has this backpack or recommends another one please tell me. Thanks.

Ohh, and one other thing. I was wondering if a electronic dry cabinet was worth buying?

I have this backpack and find it useful for carrying my 35mm cameras, lenses, and accessories. I can also use it for my medium format film camera with lenses although that makes it a bit heavier. So far, I haven't needed to test it in the rain but it resists dust pretty well.

I find it pretty comfortable for long walks; the waist strap really helps to manage the weight.

I'd agree getting a backpack a bit larger than what you need now is probably a good idea but I warn you that if you have the space, you will fill it up!

Can't speak to the utility of an electronic dry cabinet but if you have a lot of moisture in your area, something to combat that might be a good idea.

I did have the chance to test it a few weeks ago, but something tells me that those who have made rave reviews of it, aren’t the ones who are used to backpacks or they where just lucky that it fitted.

Harness and adjustability is essential when carrying heavy loads. I know this from numerous backpack trips. If it doesn’t fit you’ll just end up with backpain and an awful trip. This is where this backpack, to be honest most camera backpack falls apart, these are simply not very comfortable, due to lack of frame (means it dos not transfer the load unto your hip properly), lack of adjustable torso length and properly designed harness. Yes it’s nice that the shoulder straps doesn’t touch the ground when opening the back, but it also means that you can’t adjust it and that it’s not perfect to carry around. Where I do agree with the reviewers is that the layout and solutions inside the pack is best in class . However if it dos not fit, it doesn’t really matter. I ended up with the Tenba Axis instead, not because it’s perfect (it obviously has its design flaws compared to the Lowepro) but because I actually where able to get it to fit.

My advise is try before buy, no reviews or recommendations is going to tell you if it will fit, this is vastly more important than the internal design and layout.

However I think the better once are F-stop and Atlas as these to a much higher degree follow the basic of a traditional backpack. So if I had to travel for extended periods, those packs is what I would be looking at.

I have this backpack and find it useful for carrying my 35mm cameras, lenses, and accessories. I can also use it for my medium format film camera with lenses although that makes it a bit heavier. So far, I haven't needed to test it in the rain but it resists dust pretty well.

I find it pretty comfortable for long walks; the waist strap really helps to manage the weight.

I'd agree getting a backpack a bit larger than what you need now is probably a good idea but I warn you that if you have the space, you will fill it up!

Can't speak to the utility of an electronic dry cabinet but if you have a lot of moisture in your area, something to combat that might be a good idea.
I did have the chance to test it a few weeks ago, but something tells me that those who have made rave reviews of it, aren’t the ones who are used to backpacks or they where just lucky that it fitted.

Harness and adjustability is essential when carrying heavy loads. I know this from numerous backpack trips. If it doesn’t fit you’ll just end up with backpain and an awful trip. This is where this backpack, to be honest most camera backpack falls apart, these are simply not very comfortable, due to lack of frame (means it dos not transfer the load unto your hip properly), lack of adjustable torso length and properly designed harness. Yes it’s nice that the shoulder straps doesn’t touch the ground when opening the back, but it also means that you can’t adjust it and that it’s not perfect to carry around. Where I do agree with the reviewers is that the layout and solutions inside the pack is best in class . However if it dos not fit, it doesn’t really matter. I ended up with the Tenba Axis instead, not because it’s perfect (it obviously has its design flaws compared to the Lowepro) but because I actually where able to get it to fit.

My advise is try before buy, no reviews or recommendations is going to tell you if it will fit, this is vastly more important than the internal design and layout.

However I think the better once are F-stop and Atlas as these to a much higher degree follow the basic of a traditional backpack. So if I had to travel for extended periods, those packs is what I would be looking at.
Ok, thanks guys! :)

Is there anything that you guys recommend that most people don't think they'd need but come in handy or make life easier?

A well designed camera strap, is the first thing that comes to mind.

If you don’t have a mono/tripod thing carefully before buying, it needs to fit your needs and load of equipment. This is quite essential equipment.

Extra batteries, those mirrorless suck the juice out in no time.

Do NOT buy a camera backpack until you try it on first. This is something where evaluating it online and then buying is usually a mistake in my experience. Every backpack will ride differently, carry the load differently. If you're looking at something online, then go to a BestBuy or a Camera store that carries it. Try it on. See how accessible gear is when you where it, if it rides too high or low for you, if the straps work for your build.

I use Tamrac kit for back packs they are a #system#kit that can be added to they use the mas ,sas system to attach pouches, lens,flash holders. Belts and so on
I have found here in the uk that the army surplus tactual kit will interchange with the Tamrac for a time I combined a tactical vest with Tamrac pouches.

I just got a Sony A7III and I'm looking for a backpack for it and as well as a Macbook Pro 13 inch. I haven't really looked at all the options but I saw the "Lowepro Protactic BP 450 AW II" and it seems to be a good backpack for my needs. I know this bag is it a bit big for what I have currently but I'd rather get something big right now instead of later when I have more things (tripod, lenses, filters, batteries,etc.) for my camera. If anyone has this backpack or recommends another one please tell me. Thanks.
L, I have a LowPro, about a 350. The 450 is huge!
My pack when it’s full is about 35 pounds! The 450 will be 50 pounds!! Those Lowpros are great packs and will last forever but I think it’s too big!
I’ll tell ya what I suggest, get a Canon eg200. I have one of those and though not as durable as the Lowpro, I’ve used it professionally, on and off for ten years. It’ll fit way more than what you have and I’ve worn mine up to 16 hours per day for a week straight. At 39 dollars use it till you know what you think you’ll really need or use it forever!! It’s a very nice little pack! Good luck
John
Canon Deluxe Carrying Case 6229A003

Seem
My pack when it’s full is about 35 pounds! The 450 will be 50 pounds!! Those Lowpros are great packs and will last forever but I think it’s too big!
I’ll tell ya what I suggest, get a Canon eg200. I have one of those and though not as durable as the Lowpro, I’ve used it professionally, on and off for ten years. It’ll fit way more than what you have and I’ve worn mine up to 16 hours per day for a week straight. At 39 dollars use it till you know what you think you’ll really need or use it forever!! It’s a very nice little pack! Good luck
John
Seems like a good backpack for the price but the only thing that’d bother me is that it says Canon but I have a Sony. But I mean for the price I’d consider it.

Seem
John
Seems like a good backpack for the price but the only thing that’d bother me is that it says Canon but I have a Sony. But I mean for the price I’d consider it.

yeah there is that possibility that your camera might develop an inferiority complex!!!
It’s only that one small label on the front!!
I’ll admit I tried to remove it one time and it’s nearly impossible! I left it there! LoL
You could put a Sony sticker over it.
It’s not all stiff and heavy like my Lowpro so it’s actually more comfortable to wear, at least for me. And for the slightly smaller ML equipment you could get a pretty darn complete system into the pack!!!
For the weight I’ve carried in it and slinging it in and out of planes, trains and automobiles I’m pretty amazed at how long it’s held up without even a stitch coming loose!!!
SS

Heh. Unfortunately, the camera backpack I like and use has been discontinued for close to a decade. Lowepro CompuDayPack. It was designed when laptop computers were really thick and bulky, so I am able to store my tripod inside of the compartment that should have been for a laptop, the camera in the compartment on top along with a mounted lens and the long telephoto zoom lens, and then several smaller lenses in the lower compartment.

I don't carry a laptop with me when I take pictures.

Heh. Unfortunately, the camera backpack I like and use has been discontinued for close to a decade. Lowepro CompuDayPack. It was designed when laptop computers were really thick and bulky, so I am able to store my tripod inside of the compartment that should have been for a laptop, the camera in the compartment on top along with a mounted lens and the long telephoto zoom lens, and then several smaller lenses in the lower compartment.

I don't carry a laptop with me when I take pictures.
My Lowpro is a CompuTreker( I think?)! Probably the same vintage. I’ve only recently had a laptop, don’t know if I’ll ever carry it in the pack but maybe.
I store things like passport and money in the laptop area.
My pack I would consider a heavy pack. It’s probably 3 pounds or more empty! My Canon pack is half as heavy, gets the same use and has held up as well for a $39 pack!!!
I use the Lowpro when I am gonna take both my 1Dx and the 5Ds. I can actually configure it to carry the 1Dx with my 200 f1.8 with the lens attached! That combo alone is 10 pounds!!! It alway feels great when I pull that out to use it. Suddenly the pack weighs nothing, well, maybe only 20 pounds!!! LoL
SS

Most reactions

Back