can anyone advise me what are the lens suitable for model shooting?

junqi

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Dear all,

currently i own a kit lens EF-S18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM and EF50mm f/1.8 II.

i am deciding to buy EF100mm f/2 USM.

what you guys think?

kindly advise.

thank you.

Dear all,

what you guys think?

kindly advise.

thank you.

Your camera can be important in this decision since the format determines how each lens behaves both in field of view and depth of field.

Also it would be helpful to know what sort of shots you are planning and how much space you have to work.

For inside studio, or for outside?, with controlled lighting or natural lights.
Your existing 18-135 is ok for studio with flash as you'll probably be at f8 anyway so it should be very sharp etc.

100 is very long on a crop, so you'll need big working distance. You'll have to expand uses to get better informed

For inside studio, or for outside?, with controlled lighting or natural lights.
Your existing 18-135 is ok for studio with flash as you'll probably be at f8 anyway so it should be very sharp etc.

100 is very long on a crop, so you'll need big working distance. You'll have to expand uses to get better informed

how about in studio and outside? with controlled lighting.

what do you mean by big working distance ?

Dear all,

what you guys think?

kindly advise.

thank you.

Your camera can be important in this decision since the format determines how each lens behaves both in field of view and depth of field.

Also it would be helpful to know what sort of shots you are planning and how much space you have to work.

i using canon 70d. prefer portrait shot.

thank you.

60mm in a crop body is my favorite head portrait shot length.

If you're working with lights, the kit lens you have is probably fine. The studio I used to work in used 28-135 kit lenses for the inside photos that used strobes. Where you may need a lens upgrade is if you're working outside without flash.

Put your existing lens to 100. See how far you now need to be to get a headshot or a half body shot. Are you likely to be this far in general.

If you have or are controlling lighting you don't really need more than you have where lenses are concerned. You could of course add the 100 due when required getting smaller dof that your zooms won't allow. I would however recommend the 85mm f1.8 over the 100 due the crop factors etc. Just my opinion

Put your existing lens to 100. See how far you now need to be to get a headshot or a half body shot. Are you likely to be this far in general.

If you have or are controlling lighting you don't really need more than you have where lenses are concerned. You could of course add the 100 due when required getting smaller dof that your zooms won't allow. I would however recommend the 85mm f1.8 over the 100 due the crop factors etc. Just my opinion

I'd say you're unrepresented your opinion. It is fairly agreed upon for honest head shots on full frame between 70-135 mm is ideal.

On a 70d this is equivalent to approximately 44-85mm.

Of course if you're not doing head shots this needs to be adjusted. Also if you don't care if the photo looks like the model you can go longer to flatten out the face more.

I also agree 100 mm on the 70d is too long for most portraits.

I'd say you're unrepresented your opinion. It is fairly agreed upon for honest head shots on full frame between 70-135 mm is ideal.

Of course if you're not doing head shots this needs to be adjusted. Also if you don't care if the photo looks like the model you can go longer to flatten out the face more.

how do you calculate that 70-135 is equivalent to 44-85mm base on my camera.

so it would be the best to choose 85mm 1.8 instead of 100mm?

This link has the background info, and then some:

Digital Camera Sensor Sizes How it Influences Your Photography

The focal length multiplier for Canon cropped sensor cameras is 1.6. So to convert to the equivalent focal length from full frame you divide by 1.6.

If you want to convert f-stops for equivalent Depth of Field you'd need to multiply by 1.6

So the 85mm f1.8 gives you the equivalent of 136mm f/2.9 on full frame.

The reason you may want to actually convert the preferred focal lengths to your equivalent is most of the guides use full frame sensors. Like the following:

Stephen Eastwood Beauty and Fashion Photographer Tutorials

The Canon 100mm f/2 looks beautiful when shot on the 5D series cameras. Dirk Vermierre used to do absolutely gorgeous work with the Canon 100mm f/2 on the original 5D...just beautiful,beautiful people pictures,indoors and out, at cafes and the beach, and so on. It is a really overlooked Canon lens...it gets very little recognition, despite its beautiful results.

But honestly, on a 1.6x body, a 100mm lens is just...too long, too narrow in its angle of view to give much versatility...but, it does do what it does, its one, single length, pretty well. I would rather have a 70-200 f/4 Canon zoom if I had just one lens choice.

This link has the background info, and then some:

Digital Camera Sensor Sizes How it Influences Your Photography

The focal length multiplier for Canon cropped sensor cameras is 1.6. So to convert to the equivalent focal length from full frame you divide by 1.6.

If you want to convert f-stops for equivalent Depth of Field you'd need to multiply by 1.6

So the 85mm f1.8 gives you the equivalent of 136mm f/2.9 on full frame.

The reason you may want to actually convert the preferred focal lengths to your equivalent is most of the guides use full frame sensors. Like the following:

Stephen Eastwood Beauty and Fashion Photographer Tutorials

Thanks for the info. i think i will go for 85mm 1.8. do you think is good for shooting portrait ? or 100mm?

Thanks for the info. i think i will go for 85mm 1.8. do you think is good for shooting portrait ? or 100mm?

I'm with Derrel on this one, I'd much rather have a zoom than a fixed focal length.

If I were to pick a prime lens for a crop sensor camera, I think I'd be tempted by the 60mm since I tend to prefer the equivalent look of approximately 100mm.

But if you must chose one of those 2 I'd go with the 85mm but that is just pure preference.

If you are still not sure after above explanations and recommendations I would say to keep shooting with what you have. After a while it will become apparent if any more gear is necessary. Put differently, don't waste your money until you know what you need for your style of shooting

If you are still not sure after above explanations and recommendations I would say to keep shooting with what you have. After a while it will become apparent if any more gear is necessary. Put differently, don't waste your money until you know what you need for your style of shooting

I very much agree with this. If it's not clear what you need, learn what the limitations are of your current gear and then upgrade.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back