Can you help an aspiring photographer?

I am very curious to ask why do you want to get the D3100 and not the D3200 ?

The price difference is only 100$ and the D3100 while an ok camera is left behind when compared to its new sibling the D3200.
I think its well worth investing the little extra money and get a much better camera.
Better low light performance
Better image quality
More mega pixel...............and more

I think you have a point. Nothing is set in stone yet, i am still looking into all the things i will need. The d3200 is a very nice suggestion. I am learning about extension tubes and how that works with macro lenses. I don't even know if i need extension tubes if i already have a macro lens? Main thing is detail. I want very highly magnified detail on the hamsters and hedgehogs.

I want very highly magnified detail on the hamsters and hedgehogs.

Then, IMO you're going to need a lens with a little more working distance. To get up close and personal detail without spooking them you need a lens to use that doesn't put you right on top of the animal. Again, IMO

Here is a picture taken with a macro lens. That detail is what i'm looking for. All the little prickly hairs are distinguishable with the naked eye when you look at this picture.

9h4h2h3.jpg

credit picture: by ~hedgiehog1

I want very highly magnified detail on the hamsters and hedgehogs.

Then, IMO you're going to need a lens with a little more working distance. To get up close and personal detail without spooking them you need a lens to use that doesn't put you right on top of the animal. Again, IMO

The hamsters are very easily scared, that is an excellent suggestion. What type of lens would allow me to capture those detailed images without getting too close?

I am reading more and more guides on this macro business, i feel like i'm in over my head. I don't know what more than half of the stuff is for or how to even use it.

Reverse Ring Kit
Macro Extension Tube Set
Reversing/Coupling Ring
Reverse Ring Kit

Here is the guide to poor mans photography. The camera they suggest is anything but cheap.

How to Enjoy Macro Photography on the Cheap

On thing to note is that there is a bit of a difference between macro and zoomed in photography. You could probably get close to the hedgehog shot above with the standard lens that comes with the d3100 or d3200. I would suggest getting the d3200 with a kit 18-55mm lens and seeing how you get on before you spend more money on other lens.

On thing to note is that there is a bit of a difference between macro and zoomed in photography. You could probably get close to the hedgehog shot above with the standard lens that comes with the d3100 or d3200. I would suggest getting the d3200 with a kit 18-55mm lens and seeing how you get on before you spend more money on other lens.

^I agree. I think true macro photography isn't necessarily what you're after. You seem to just be interested in really good, sharp photos of your four-legged furry friends.

D3200 is probably a reasonable place to start. Get that and the kit lens. I'd suggest possibly also getting the Nikon AF-S 50mm f/1.8g, simply because it's a really, good sharp lens that should get you some nice results, and it's not terribly expensive. (On a side note, I will soon have one for sale...but that really isn't why I'm suggesting it!).

Learn to use the camera and the basic lenses--once you learn the basics, you should be able to get much better pictures than you were getting with the disposable, but be forewarned--it's NOT an automatic equation. Big, fancy, expensive camera does NOT automatically equal better pictures. It will take time to really learn how to use it.
As you're learning to use the camera, you'll also be discovering what else you want to accomplish, and THAT will help you determine whether you even want/need any of the macro stuff.

Yes, sm4him also suggested that. But what about all those extra gizmo's that make your camera look like a bazooka? Is all of this necessary just for me to take some closeup detailed pictures?

$Free-Shipping-3-Macro-Extension-Tube-Ring-font-b-Lens-b-font-Adapter-for-font-b.jpg

Yes, sm4him also suggested that. But what about all those extra gizmo's that make your camera look like a bazooka? Is all of this necessary just for me to take some closeup detailed pictures?

View attachment 55497

NO, all of that is NOT necessary to take some decently close, decently detailed shots. In fact, imo, all that will simply overwhelm you and the learning curve will be so great that it will all end up in the closet...or on Ebay.

Get the basic setup, no macro stuff. THEN, if you decide it's not close/detailed enough, you can start into the "macro" side of things quite cheaply--either a reversing ring for one of the basic lenses you'll already have at that point, or a decent set of tubes. I use Kenko tubes, they were probably around $200 for a set of three. I don't own a reversing ring, but I think those are REALLY inexpensive, like as little as $10 sometimes.

^I agree. I think true macro photography isn't necessarily what you're after. You seem to just be interested in really good, sharp photos of your four-legged furry friends.

D3200 is probably a reasonable place to start. Get that and the kit lens. I'd suggest possibly also getting the Nikon AF-S 50mm f/1.8g, simply because it's a really, good sharp lens that should get you some nice results, and it's not terribly expensive. (On a side note, I will soon have one for sale...but that really isn't why I'm suggesting it!).

Learn to use the camera and the basic lenses--once you learn the basics, you should be able to get much better pictures than you were getting with the disposable, but be forewarned--it's NOT an automatic equation. Big, fancy, expensive camera does NOT automatically equal better pictures. It will take time to really learn how to use it.
As you're learning to use the camera, you'll also be discovering what else you want to accomplish, and THAT will help you determine whether you even want/need any of the macro stuff.

You got it exactly right. I am just very excited about starting up photo sessions with my hamster poof, just this hurdle of getting started with the basics is something i need to figure out.

So the Nikon AF-S 50mm f/1.8g + D3200 is all i need to get started?

You got it exactly right. I am just very excited about starting up photo sessions with my hamster poof, just this hurdle of getting started with the basics is something i need to figure out.

That, and if you can buy the D3200 with the "kit" lens (that is, the lens that often comes packaged with the camera body, hence "kit.") The kit lens for the D3200 is the 18-55mm. It's a cheapie lens, but a sight better than what you've been using, and honestly, NOT that bad of a lens. I still use mine, and will until I can afford to upgrade it.

The kit lens will give you a little flexibility in terms of focal range, so that you can get a little closer to the hamster, or show more surroundings, while standing in the same spot. With the 50mm, since it's what's called a "fixed" focal length, you have to move closer or further away physically in order to get more, or less, in the picture. BUT, the 50mm is a really nice quality lens, and the 1.8 aperture will allow you to use it in lower-light conditions than the 18-55.

Eventually, I'd still recommend a flash as well, but I wouldn't worry about that right now. I'd get just those things to start and THEN start figuring out how to use them!

Things like close up filters, extension tubes, etc allow you to get closer to the subject. You don't want that. You want detailed photos from a distance that won't frighten the animal.

The D3200 with the 18-55 lens seems like a great suggestion. Once you start taking photos with it and find out how close you are to what you want to achieve you can make an intelligent decision on whether or not further steps are necessary to achieve the desired result.

That, and if you can buy the D3200 with the "kit" lens (that is, the lens that often comes packaged with the camera body, hence "kit.") The kit lens for the D3200 is the 18-55mm. It's a cheapie lens, but a sight better than what you've been using, and honestly, NOT that bad of a lens. I still use mine, and will until I can afford to upgrade it.

The kit lens will give you a little flexibility in terms of focal range, so that you can get a little closer to the hamster, or show more surroundings, while standing in the same spot. With the 50mm, since it's what's called a "fixed" focal length, you have to move closer or further away physically in order to get more, or less, in the picture. BUT, the 50mm is a really nice quality lens, and the 1.8 aperture will allow you to use it in lower-light conditions than the 18-55.

Eventually, I'd still recommend a flash as well, but I wouldn't worry about that right now. I'd get just those things to start and THEN start figuring out how to use them!

Which one of these two should i pick as a starter kit included in the camera bundle?

AF-S DX 18-55 VR

AF-S DX 18-55 II

One says VR and the other says II. I'm not too sure which one is better for what i'm going to use it for?

To be honest, I'm not sure what the II version is, either. But the VR seems to be the one that comes standard with the D3200 and it'll work for you just fine.
Someone else may chime in on what the AF-S DX 18-55 II is, but if it doesn't ALSO say VR, I'd say stick with the VR one.

Most reactions

Back