Canon 10d in sub zero temps

Discussion in 'Photography Equipment & Products' started by willyp, Sep 14, 2004.

1. willyp

willyp TPF Noob!

Avalon, Northern Beaches, Sydney, Australia
    Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    Hi Guys and Girls,

I'm planninga round the world trip for November and want to get a new camera setup. I'd really like a canon 10d, but my trip includes 3 months in the snow (subzero temps in degrees celcius...i'm from australia) and i've heard that digital cameras dont work in temps that low. Also, what lenses do you recommend... i plan on taking portraits of locals, wildlife, and landscapes.

Any tips would be appreciated,

Thanks
    willyp

2. Big Mike

Big Mike I am Big, I am Mike Staff Member Supporting Member

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    I don't own a 10D but I have heard that the manual says that it should not be used in freezing weather. That being said, I've heard from photographers who have used it in fairly cold weather with no ill effects.

The batteries will not last as long in cold weather so you will need to be aware of that.

Also, the main things to be concerned with would be the LCD screen and condensation when bringing the camera inside from the cold.

If you can afford 'L' series lenses. You might want to invest in a couple of them. They are more durable and are sealed better, which could be beneficial in harsh climates and on a long trip.