Canon 20D remote release and Q about mirror lockup

6Speed

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I want to buy a cable release for my 20d, but I don't know where to find the cheapest price, or what is a good brand. I see B&H has a Dot Line remote release for 40.00.

Also, I tried reading the manual for turning on mirror lockup, but it's kind of confusing. Can someone explain it to me?

Thanks,
Zack

I bought a new cable release, for my 20D, off of E-bay. I can't recall the brand name but it was made in China (from a seller in the US) The quality is not great but it was only $10-12.

Setting MLU is done through the custom functions. Press the menu button and scroll to custom functions. Go to Fn 12 and set it to 1 to enable MLU. Now you have to press the shutter release once to flip up the mirror and once again to fire the shutter. If you set the self timer, the camera will flip up the mirror, wait two seconds and then fire the shutter.

be careful when buying non-canon brands when it comes to remote cables. I've heard some horror storys about people frying their cameras because they used a cheaper brand

The remote switch is a very simple switch actually. I've recall reading that people have made their own with simple parts from Radio Shack. I don't know how it could fry a camera. If it did short, it would be the same as holding down the shutter release on the camera...which in itself shouldn't cause any damage and you could just unplug it or turn the camera off.

I could be wrong on that though.

I have heard that these cheap remotes are not all that durable...but for 1/3 the price of the Canon one, it's not too bad.

Big Mike said:
The remote switch is a very simple switch actually. I've recall reading that people have made their own with simple parts from Radio Shack. I don't know how it could fry a camera. If it did short, it would be the same as holding down the shutter release on the camera...which in itself shouldn't cause any damage and you could just unplug it or turn the camera off.

I could be wrong on that though.

I have heard that these cheap remotes are not all that durable...but for 1/3 the price of the Canon one, it's not too bad.

Its was the owner of a small camera shop who told me those stories. He was probibly trying to put me off going to another shop down the road which had the cheaper non-brand version.

I also have the inexpensive Adit brand release from ebay. Think it was $20 with shipping. It does not introduce any new electricity to the camera. It is just a simple switch. It completes the circuit from the cameras own jack. Unless it was completely wired incorrectly (causing a short). I really don't see how it could harm the camera. As its just a simple switch and is just using the cameras own signal output and then input.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back