Canon 5d Mk iv vs Canon 1d Mk ii.

Scott Whaley

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
My wife and I both have a Canon 7d mk ii and Canon 5d mk iv. I am thinking about getting her a Canon 1d mk ii for our anniversary in June. For all you Canon users, what benefit would make the Canon 1d worth getting vs the 5d?

Do you mean 1ds

Have you tried a www 5dmk4 vers 1d.. I think ken Rockwell did one. Or there is DP review who do comparative side by side reviews hope this helps

My wife and I both have a Canon 7d mk ii and Canon 5d mk iv. I am thinking about getting her a Canon 1d mk ii for our anniversary in June. For all you Canon users, what benefit would make the Canon 1d worth getting vs the 5d?

They are for different uses. The 5D Mk IV is a full frame camera made for general do it all, more portraits, weddings, etc. The 1dx (Mk II) is a full frame camera more geared for sports photography.

Both can do other things but those are the "main" way they are used.

In my opinion the 1Dx would be an upgrade for the 7D mk II. Moving to completely full frame.

With a 1Dx mk II and a 5D mk IV, you shouldn't need much else for a while.

just be aware that a 1D series are heavy cameras.

I have the 1Ds and its a heafty sum. Add on any L lens and you have a gym workout.

1D series have the _permanent_ grip built-in,and are large, and heavy, and conspicuously "pro-looking". It is a FULL-sized camera, for sure.

The 5 series is half-height, offers an accessory grip, and is moderately large, yet does not SCREAM "pro".

I do not know your wife's photo background, but I think she might really like the 5D-III.

I own a 1dx mk 2. 14-16 frames per second, depending on the mode. At least 170 clicks before the buffer kicks in and slows things down. If that's a necessity for you, this is your camera. It also has great low-light capabilities.

The weight issue is not to be taken lightly however (no pun intended). The camera is just under three pounds with no lens attatched. So here's my advice. Next time you go out shooting, take a 5lb bag of sugar withyou. By the end of the day, you'll know whether or not 16 fps is going to be worth it to you.

My wife & I both already have a 7d mkii & a 5d mkii. So, we are used to the difference in the two. I have read that the focus on the 1d is much faster than the 5d & the 14 to 16 fps is a nice touch. The weight of the 1d might be an issue since she will be using a SIGMA 150-600 Sports lens.

The weight factor is definitely something to consider.
The 1D and 1Ds are hefty. The Sigma (Bigma) some like to call them WILL add weight! Attach any tripod bases to the LENS!

The 1D MkII and III have much FASTER fps and burst rate so there is that aspect. Plus the newer 1D's have the calibration for the lenses. The 1Ds Mk I does not.

With those lenses, two handed lift is a factor and a FIRST CLASS neck strap with ALOT of padding is DEFINITELY in order! Trust me! After 30 min. + walking with that beast hanging, you'll need a massage.

Take me seriously on this!

The Sigma 150-600 is a fairly long lens...perhaps the added weight of the 1Dx-Mark II will give better balance and grip than the 5D-IIi or 5D-IV.

Thanks for the insight. There is a lot to consider.

The newer one.

I use the sigma 150 600 on a 600d and as others have said it’s a mass to carry for long plus the lightweight 600d means the balance is sometimes wrong on a strap

Most reactions

New Topics

Back