Canon 7D kit or canon 18-200mm

alyaba

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hello everybody,

Right now i have a Canon T1i, canon 18-55mm, canon 55-250 and a 50mm 1.8

I dont like changing lenses when im outside and would much rather just have one lens, so im undecided between buying the canon 18-200mm lens for my T1i or just buying the 7D kit that will come with the 28-135mm.

The 18-200mm lens would give alot of flexibility but i have read some bad things about it such as the vignetting and the barrel distortion on the wide end. Other than that it sounds very nice.

The 7D will be a much faster camera and the focus will be better than the T1i, but im not sure my pictures will actually look noticeably better. The 7D will also cost about $1000 more than the lens.

So what do you guys think i should do?

Personal choice. The focus won't be better on the 7D than on the T1i... there is a better AF system and more AF points, but it comes down to the user of the camera. You should have any issues with focus on the T1i. If things are blurry or not as sharp, I'd equate that more with the kit lenses you have. Things can be tack sharp with the 50 1.8 when shooting at f/4 or so.

I never used the 18-200, but I've heard that the image quality is slightly better than the kit lenses, which should be similar to the 28-135. I did shoot with a 28-135 and found it decent, but nothing remarkable for image quality.

Upgrade what you have a need to upgrade to. If you dont like changing lenses, get a new lens. If your actual camera body is not meeting your shooting needs, get a new camera body. But make sure that the problems you are having are not behind the body.

Okay, I have to ask: If you're "not sure [your] pictures will actually look noticeably better" with a 7D versus a T1i, then why are you getting the 7D? Does your skill level support such a heavy investment in what is arguably a pro-level body? Does what you shoot necessitate the 7D? Do you actually know why you're getting the 7D over a 50D, waiting for the 60D, or a 5D MkII? My advice is always do everything you can with glass first, then upgrade the body. Electronics are changing so quickly now that in the 3 years I waited while upgrading my lenses we went from the 40D and the 5D to the 7D and 5D MkII. Significant improvements and features that I simply did not have on the Rebel XT that I had. It was finally the camera body that was slowing me down and preventing me from getting the shots I wanted.

I'm still a noob, but I would personally get the glass and save up for the 7D. Not sure what your experience level is, but unless you really need the faster shutter speed or the higher FPS, I'd just stick with the T1i. It's a lot better than the XT I've been using for quite a while now.

If you're looking for a higher ISO, I would say get yourself some faster glass. You should be able to pick up a Tamron 28-75mm 1:2.8 for less than $400.

I myself am looking to upgrade cameras soon and honestly the only reason I'm not going for a 7D yet is because I take a lot of pictures, and I don't want the shutter life to expire before my skill and talent grow to the limits of the camera. That's why I suggest a lens for you, especially if you're a fairly new shooter. As long as you take good care of it, it will always be there for you, however the camera will eventually expire.

Thank you for all your replies,

astrostu there were a couple reasons why i was considering the 7D the first one is that it comes with the 28-135mm lens which would be good for walking around, and like i said that was my main issue, of course there were other reasons such as a faster FPS better video and all around better camera. but non of those are necessities which is why im leaning towards just getting the lens.

i meant from a technical standpoint regardless of my skills, would the pictures look better from a 7d than from a T1i? from most of what i have been ready it sounds like a very small difference.

The T1i was my first SLR so im pretty new at this, but im really loving photography and trying to learn everything i can.

you guys gave me really good advice, and it sounds like a new lens would be a better option for me, now it comes down to do i get the 18-200mm for around $600 or get a used 28-135mm that i found on craigslist for $250. they are both gonna do what i need them to do.

If you completely ignore skill and if you completely ignore Mpx, then I would expect there to be very little noticable difference unless you go down to the pixel level and start doing very stringent color and noise tests. At higher ISOs, the 7D will win regardless -- it's a better sensor and better sensors are almost always optimized for better noise characteristics.

Unless you are doing things where you're really pushing your camera, I don't think you'd see a difference.

If you have the cash for a 7D and you are liking that it comes with a more "walk around" lens in the 28-135, I would seriously seriously consider getting 1 new lens... the Canon 24-105 f/4L IS.

THIS is an awesome walkaround lens, and its an L lens, amazing image quality. Its on my short list of lenses to get. It costs $1050 at BH, a little more than half the price of the 7D + 28-135.

You'll see a very nice increase in image quality with an L lens

i went ahead and bought the 24-105 L lens and wow this is the lens to get, it has GREAT image quality, isnt heavy and gives me the range that i was looking for.
im very happy with my purchase. Thanks for your advice everybody.

Most reactions

Back