canon or nikon entry level dslr

I compared the
Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L USM and Nikkor AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED which were both released at around the same time. The cameras used for comparison are 1DsM3 and D3x (the comparison is fair, try comparing several Sigma/Tamron lenses on them, they have around the same overall score).
This time, Nikon exceeded Canon's image quality by 6 points. (27 vs 21)
When I compared the Nikkor AF-S VR Zoom-Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G IF-ED and the Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM, the Nikon beat Canon by 6 point.
(Note: doubling the points = doubling the image quality)
Which means, Nikon has around 30% better image quality for this two lenses.

I didn't compare the 14-24mm because Canon doesn't have an equivalent, and I also didn't compare the II version because DxOMark don't have its score yet.

Buy a 550D and call it a day.

I've owned, Sony, Minolta, Olympus, pentax and Nikon. I just recently purchased my first canon and have never been happier.

Just about everyone here is biased. I recommend going to a local camera store and trying our models to see what feels good to you. Once youve decided, buy online from someone like B&H or Adorama.

Buy a 550D and call it a day.

I've owned, Sony, Minolta, Olympus, pentax and Nikon. I just recently purchased my first canon and have never been happier.

Just about everyone here is biased. I recommend going to a local camera store and trying our models to see what feels good to you. Once youve decided, buy online from someone like B&H or Adorama.

I agree. Everyone is biased. The decision is up to the OP, just don't stray away from 'the Big Two'.

Buy what brand your friends have, then you will be able to swap lenses and get advice from them.

If you do not have any friends (like myself) throw a coin.

It does not really matter. Both companies will probably survive for quite some time to come, and both will market good and horrible cameras and lenses from time to time.

Buy what brand your friends have, then you will be able to swap lenses and get advice from them.

It does not really matter. Both companies will probably survive for quite some time to come, and both will market good and horrible cameras and lenses from time to time.

+1

+3

I started with Nikon and Loved it till i didn't. Now I'm shooting with a Canon 550D and it feels so much nicer in my hand. Its all personal preference when talking between the 2 big ones. what canon brings to the table at each level of quality/performance, nikon will have something just as equal and visa versa. In the end its the subtle differences that will either turn you on or off to one.

I've used both the D5100 and 550D. Here's a comment. 550D feels better (comfortable) in the hand. D5100's button and dials placement are better and less confusing. I find it easier to shoot manually on D5100. D5100 has slightly better metering and better noise performance. D5100 has one important feature - auto ISO with minimum shutter speed - I use it all the time. And one thing, I find Canon white balance is always too warm and greenish, and Nikon is slightly cool and purplish, with Canon being very much worse in this aspect. I also prefer the menu of Canon, but prefer the Live View and display when shooting of Nikon. Next thing is, I prefer Canon's lenses' zoom grip. Next is, I find that the 18-135mm balances the 550D really well. For the D5100, all of my current lenses doesn't balance well with the camera.

Don't take my views too seriously though, because I'm a D5100 user.

I didn't use the 550D long enough to give you any specific stuff.

I compared the
Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L USM and Nikkor AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED which were both released at around the same time. The cameras used for comparison are 1DsM3 and D3x (the comparison is fair, try comparing several Sigma/Tamron lenses on them, they have around the same overall score).
This time, Nikon exceeded Canon's image quality by 6 points. (27 vs 21)
When I compared the Nikkor AF-S VR Zoom-Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G IF-ED and the Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM, the Nikon beat Canon by 6 point.
(Note: doubling the points = doubling the image quality)
Which means, Nikon has around 30% better image quality for this two lenses.

I didn't compare the 14-24mm because Canon doesn't have an equivalent, and I also didn't compare the II version because DxOMark don't have its score yet.

DxOMark, what's that? Is that a Nikon fanboy's bible? :sexywink:

/jk

cgipson1 said:
If you want really good advertising, and toys that cost even more than Nikon.. buy Canon!

I swear I used a similar statement when a client asked about a Mac(shudders).

I've used both the D5100 and 550D. Here's a comment. 550D feels better (comfortable) in the hand. D5100's button and dials placement are better and less confusing. I find it easier to shoot manually on D5100. D5100 has slightly better metering and better noise performance. D5100 has one important feature - auto ISO with minimum shutter speed - I use it all the time. And one thing, I find Canon white balance is always too warm and greenish, and Nikon is slightly cool and purplish, with Canon being very much worse in this aspect. I also prefer the menu of Canon, but prefer the Live View and display when shooting of Nikon. Next thing is, I prefer Canon's lenses' zoom grip. Next is, I find that the 18-135mm balances the 550D really well. For the D5100, all of my current lenses doesn't balance well with the camera.

Hello Echoingwhisper,

Would you happen to have any sample pics of your D5100? I had to return a D7000 due to a defective AF and noticed the D5100 reduced price. This noobie would really appreciate it. Thank you.

Hello Echoingwhisper,

Would you happen to have any sample pics of your D5100? I had to return a D7000 due to a defective AF and noticed the D5100 reduced price. This noobie would really appreciate it. Thank you.

As far as I can tell, EchoingWhisper doesn't take photos with his camera... but I could be wrong.

Hello Echoingwhisper,

You probably already know, but D5100 sensor is same as D7000. D7000 has more AF points, faster FPS, etc. so unless you're mainly into shooting birds and/or sports, D5100 should suffice your need. IQ should be the same.

Edit: You probably already know, but D5100 is limited to AF-S lens while D7000 will take on any Nikon lens for auto focus.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back