cant believe we didn't think of this before,

Osmer_Toby

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
but how about a tpf book club? or has this been suggested already and for some reason shot down?

would be cool to read a classic, not necessarily photography related, and then talk about it. would reveal alot about each of us, things that would not otherwise translate through the ether.......

oriecat said:
I don't recall anyone suggesting it. Well you made it up, therefore you have to facilitate! ;) Pick a book, MrMod.

ok, but i need some help.
something provacative, something relevant to our times, but something apolitical. wow- what fits that bill?

Absolutely! I am open to trying any style of writing. I LOVE to read.

Can we do science fiction fantasy? I'm a psycho power reader when it comes to swords and magic. I only read in waves though. 6 months on, 6 months off but I still get a year's worth of reading done.

I've got the last two Serpent War Saga books by Raymond E Feist I need to read and I believe Terry Brooks just came out with a new one last month.

Prolly easier with one book stories though huh? Tad Williams has some good stuff. Maybe I should broaden my horizons though and read something other than the struggle to come to terms with <enter character's name> new found knowledge of magic and he/she has very little time to learn to use it before they need to save the universe :wink:

can anyone think of a classic that is sf or fantasy-other than the trilogy?

Anything by asimov. Most bradbury stuff is good. 2001 by Clarke. Nothing by anne mccaffrey--christ that woman is a drone. I just started _Singularity Sky_ by Charles Stross--it's a tough read so far (60 pgs in), but shows a lot of promise--very highbrow SF.

Well for fantasy I would highly suggest Terry Goodkind's "Sword of Truth" series. It has everything you could want in a book. He is really a writer’s writer, lots of detail, lots of in debt charter building. The best thing about his books are that they are big most of the series is 1000+ pages, which is good for power readers such as myself check him out!

Another author I enjoy is Anne McCaffrey. She has a series named “The Dragons of Pern”, I thought it was a very good set and enjoyed it a lot (but I like dragons a lot so). Any of the D&D books are also good; the “Dark Elf Trilogy” and “Dragonlance” are the best in my opinion.

Those are my suggestions, any more?

Peldor said:
Another author I enjoy is Anne McCaffrey. She has a series named “The Dragons of Pern”, I thought it was a very good set and enjoyed it a lot (but I like dragons a lot so).

:lol: Sounds like we're at odds Peldor. I like dragons too, but after reading several of the dragons of pern books, finally just gave up and came to grips with the fact that I utterly loathe her writing style. All the characters are interchangable, bland, and generic, and the woman couldn't build suspense if her life depended on it.

Just my opinion of course. :D

Some of the original Dragonlance stuff is pretty good. The Chronicles series (Dragons of Fall...Winter...Spring) and the Legends series (Time of the Twins, War of the Twins, Time of...)

Why not consider "The Trillogy"...I just read The Hobbit (again) and was about to pick up FOTR (for about the 20th time)

I have read some Piers Anthony stuff...I quite enjoyed most of it.

2Stupid2Duck said:
Oh - you mean like the Magician which of course is also a Raymond E Fiest book. LMAO. Good try Malachite.
That's 2 books but they go quick.

I would highly suggest Terry Goodkind's "Sword of Truth" series. It has everything you could want in a book. He is really a writer’s writer, lots of detail, lots of in debt charter building.
After what Robert Jordan has put me through I like to know that I can read one story in 10 books or less inside of 15 years. If I ever meet Robert Jordan, I'm gonna punch him and say "by the time you get done telling the police how that felt, I will have grown old and retired to Mexico". I think good ol' Rand is going to kill the Dark One with boredom.

I wanna be a black character! I always wanted to play a role as a black character :p but finally I always was an angel :( how sad....

Some quick suggestions:

Sci-fi - An old-time fave I've been wanting to read again is Orson Scott Card's Ender's Game

for Fantasy - I loved Marion Zimmer Bradley's Mist of Avalon.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back