Case for 450mm prime?

Yan Lauzon

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I purchased a vintage 450mm prime lens on the cheap online. It didn't come with any case.
My original plan was to put it in my camera bag like any other lens I own.. But this lens is just too big.

I searched online and whatever I found was under half the size I'd need.

Are there protective / transportation gear for such big lens?

Thanks

Several companies (like Pelican) makes specialized cases, but they are not cheap.
What brand of lens, and what are the dimensions of the lens?

Maybe you should have gotten a mirror lens.
Compact size is one of the benefits of a mirror.

Several companies (like Pelican) makes specialized cases, but they are not cheap.
What brand of lens, and what are the dimensions of the lens?

Maybe you should have gotten a mirror lens.
Compact size is one of the benefits of a mirror.
It's a soligor 450mm f/8

I never tried mirror lens, but got a pretty sweet deal on that one. I just didn't realize how big 450mm can be until I tried to put it in my bag!

When buying cases my first stop is the Container Store to see if they have a form fitting plastic container. I take my lens and spend some time trying out the options. For the lens you mention I might look at a sporting good store and see if there's a scope case that fits. Or you could buy a bottle of Glenfiddich and see if the lens fits in it's protective covering.

When buying cases my first stop is the Container Store to see if they have a form fitting plastic container. I take my lens and spend some time trying out the options. For the lens you mention I might look at a sporting good store and see if there's a scope case that fits. Or you could buy a bottle of Glenfiddich and see if the lens fits in it's protective covering.

Thanks for the suggestions.

So far, short of an oversized rifle case, I have seen no offerings that is large enough. It seems to be just too big for the short boxes, but way too small for the big ones.

I like your suggestion of Glenfiddich... Right now I have found a wooden wine bottle case in which it fits tightly. If I don't get anything better I'll alter it for better protection and transportation. At least it's not just laying around anymore.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back