Catching a gun firing

You mean the bold text THAT WAS NOT IN THE ORIGINAL POST by the OP. A little fact that he happened to mention after the fact only when called on the issue. After something happens "Oh yeah, I forgot to mention...." really doesn't mean much then does it?
The fact I didn't mention how I created the shot has nothing to do with it.

Your little tirade about my safety and me winding up in a body bag wasn't a community service announcement, it was a direct insult to me about my safety when you had no clue how the shot was made. You assumed I stood in front of the gun vs. asking how the shot was done then lecturing me if I had done something stupid.

Now that you've admitted to being a cop, it's safe to say any expertise you may have in firearms likely didn't come from your profession. Most cops are extremely poorly trained and any expertise they have in firearms comes from a personal investment in time, ammo and training and not from their poorly funded and often deficient "training".

So, next time instead of pulling your "FINGER ON TEH TRIGGER!!1!" AR15.com non-sense and automatically assuming everyone but you is ignorant of firearms, try assuming everyone isn't and ask for details before jumping the gun.

Now, kindly go pollute someone else's thread please. If I want to deal with AR15.com silliness, I'll go post over there.

Thanks.

Nice capture! Not to sound dumb, but I'm a little foggy on the details of this. You set the timer, and then tried to fire multiple times as the camera shot a single frame in the hopes you'd catch a photo like this? How many tries and how many bullets did it take?

Nice capture! Not to sound dumb, but I'm a little foggy on the details of this. You set the timer, and then tried to fire multiple times as the camera shot a single frame in the hopes you'd catch a photo like this? How many tries and how many bullets did it take?
No problem, the setup was pretty simple. A 1D body on a tripod with a remote release. I had the timer set to 10 seconds before release. I waited until just before the release and I started firing. I was just hoping to get some cool brass in the air shots and I caught this one by accident. I didn't think I would get one timed like this.

It was a nice day today and I was bored so I wanted to screw around with my camera and do some shooting.

Any danger to the camera in setting up such a shot? (of course aiming just to the left or right... lol)
I would be crazy to have such expensive gear and not have it insured. :) If it got trashed, State Farm would get me a new one. Hehe. But no, the camera wasn't in any serious danger of being hit by my fire.

A nice photo you have there... I like the trail as you pointed out. I wonder if the shot was done in less than full bright daylight if the lighted muzzle would have a more dramatic effect.
The muzzle blast certainly would have been more brilliant had the shot been taken in lower light, but then the path of the bullet wouldn't have been visible most likely. I rather like the whole effect as it stands with the smoke, flash, debris and bullet trail.

I'm glad you like it.

what about if you set up a flash in lower light to light the muzzle smoke, you'd get a nice trail through it.

problem might be sync speeds, and you'd really have to push them

what about if you set up a flash in lower light to light the muzzle smoke, you'd get a nice trail through it.

problem might be sync speeds, and you'd really have to push them
Yeah, if my goal was to catch a bullet in flight I would have to pick up some of the equipment mentioned earlier in the thread. It's something I've thought about, or making a simple trigger that fires myself - I've found the diagrams online and it looks pretty simple.

But I would probably try it with and without strobes to see what I caught.

Very Cool shots! :)

I do agree with some others that for a person like me that never mess with firearm before, I thought someone took the shot by just reading the first post. No offend to you Tim. Although I do not intention to try anything like that but I do appreciate the safety tips.

Very Cool shots! :)
Thanks, glad you like it.

I do agree with some others that for a person like me that never mess with firearm before, I thought someone took the shot by just reading the first post. No offend to you Tim. Although I do not intention to try anything like that but I do appreciate the safety tips.
I don't have a problem with someone asking how the shot was setup and having a discussion about it. Where I have a problem is when some self professed "professional" strolls in, assumes I'm an idiot then proceeds to lecture me on gun safety. Even after being told it was a self portrait, he continues with his silliness unabated and tries to justify his a-holish actions.

Now, had he asked how the shot was setup and I had said "I stood in front of the gun and took a picture of myself" (I know, it's meant to be funny) then he would have been justified in his ridicule. But as it stands, he simply assumed the worst and pretended I was a moron which I in turn took offense to.

Ironically, he made no mention of me not having shooting glasses on. I'm surprised I didn't get a lecture about blinding myself. Perhaps he's not as experienced at internet gun safety critique as I once thought. :) But since we're on the subject of shooting safety, you probably want to wear eye protection. When shooting outdoors I often don't wear it, but I make my family wear it because I know it's the right thing to do. When shooting steel plates I do wear eye protection because there's a good chance lead splatter will come back at me.

Great photo but if you want a REALLY good shot u need to capture the exact moment when the bullet is about 5cm away from the gun. That would be REALLY hard yet INSANELY AMAZING!

This is a really cool shot, good capture. :thumbup:

I have known (and still know) a lot of officers, partly due to being a CJ major for a little while, and that's just how most of them are. Some of them have good intentions (and just as many are on power trips), but sometimes they can be a little socially retarded because they have a hard time not acting like a "cop" when work ends. For some, work never ends (It can take a toll on relationships). I wouldn't take it personally, I am sure he was just trying to help.

I have a new favorite word -- "a-holish"!

I have a new favorite word -- "a-holish"!

Referring to me? I was not trying to be rude by any means. I have immense respect for *most* officers. I'm not making this stuff up as an attack, these are things I have been told by budies admitting their own issues. I also know some who are too arrogant to suggest they are anything other than "the sh*t."

Anyways, back on topic.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back