Christenings

tempra

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.artzam.com
Not sure if this is the right section for it, so move it if need be, but here goes.

I've seen the link that was posted about all the shots to get at a wedding, but my Nephew has asked me to take shots of his daughters christening. Anyone know what THE shots are at a christening? I'm normally waiting for the bar to open

i've told him that I'll promise nothing in the way of professional quality, and he's happy with that, just that he'd like someone with a better idea of photography than his mates with camera phones to take some pics.

The church is an old one, with awkward lighting - deep shadows and the sun shining through small windows, I have a 420ex flash - is it worth getting a diffuser for it?

All these questions and more are there for the answering from you learned fellows of TPF, so gimme a hand here!! :D

Yours, slightly worried, Oxford.

well of course you hsould take a few pictures with parents and god-parents. And as Christie said, the water part. then a few with a baby dressed in those white clothes and so on... just shoot what you think is important. If I were you I'd take a diffuser with me...

Sorry about the delay in responding, been off down to Cornwall for a few days.

Christie, I believe it's Anglican but I think one is more or less like the other, say a few prayers, wet the baby's head, then go have a few beers etc.

Mentos, good thought there, I'll probably go to their house beforehand to get some shots of the baby in her gown before she gets water and juice all over it.

Thanks

Hmmm... well, there are some other symbols (other than the water) that you might try to record. I suspect there will be an annointing with oil/chrism, a symbolic "clothing with a white garment" (something may be simply placed on the child), and at the end of it all, receiving the light from the paschal candle (done on behalf of the child by the Godparents).

If it is a private ceremony, this will be quite simple. If the baptism is during a community Mass, you'll need to be a bit discrete.

Good luck!

-Pete

Most reactions

Back