Christmas gift for a Photographer

Aegis

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hello everyone!

I hope I'm asking this in the right place so here goes...

I'm looking to get a present for my wife that she's been looking to get for some time, portable studio lighting. She has a small business that started with wedding photography and now transitioning to in home portraits. She had also mentioned that in certain circumstances lighting would be nice for the weddings.

In my research with my limited knowledge I found a set here:

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=3400026&sku=L222-1006

My question is, will she be happy with it or would you recommend something else?

Thanks,

~Aegis

Welcome to the forum.

I wouldn't recommend a kit like that. The lights aren't very powerful and she may find that she needs to upgrade.

What is your budget?

I'd recommend something like Elinchrom D-Lights or maybe Alien Bee lights.

A creative photographer can do a lot with one or two lights, but I think that a good portrait 'kit' is three or four lights.

Another option is to use 'hot shoe' flash units on stands like studio lights. This option is a lot more portable because the flash units are small and they run on batteries rather than having to be plugged in like studio lights. There are pros and cons either way, so it may not be something to surprise her with it.

THIS SITE can give you a lot of into about how to set up this sort of thing and it shouldn't be too hard to find the equipment needed.

Well, for studio lights, I don't think you well get a 'good kit' for $500...but you could get a good start on a kit, with one or two lights.

You could get a 'kit' for $500 but I think it would have to be a big compromise in terms of quality and light power.

What does she have for flash units currently? Those could easily be incorporated into a set up like I mentioned above.

I don't think you can get something she will be very happy with for less than $500. I would also suggest Strobist - you can do some wonderful things with off-camera hotshoe flashes - I am currently using a Canon 580EX and 430EX. Alien Bees are also a good alternative, as has been suggested.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back