Christmas Time is here

Blue_ Angle

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm very new to photography, and this is one of my better shots; please give me feedback because it's the only way I will improve! I used a high shutter speed (13 sec. I think) and a lower aperture (probably 5-10)
IMG_5024.JPG

Hello and welcome! It's a beautiful shot, but you cut the top off of the tree. I like that you caught the trailing light of the train going around the tree. Looks like your numbers were 3.2 seconds f/18 ISO 6400 @ 18mm. Turning the camera on it's side might have caught the entire tree.

I'm very new to photography, and this is one of my better shots; please give me feedback because it's the only way I will improve! I used a high shutter speed (13 sec. I think) and a lower aperture (probably 5-10)View attachment 262298
Welcome to the Forum! How were the camera settings made? Did you set them or was the camera set to auto?

Welcome to the Forum! How were the camera settings made? Did you set them or was the camera set to auto?
I have read some articles and received help from teachers at my school who know a reasonable amount, so It was set to manual, my favorite way to take pictures.

Hello and welcome! It's a beautiful shot, but you cut the top off of the tree. I like that you caught the trailing light of the train going around the tree. Looks like your numbers were 3.2 seconds f/18 ISO 6400 @ 18mm. Turning the camera on it's side might have caught the entire tree.
Yea, I definitely agree with everything you said. I also might even go for another shot soon; we'll see...

Hi and welcome! Before offering any advice I would ask what you were trying to achieve with the lights?

I don't know if this helps answer your question, but my idea was to take some Christmas card photos, and I just thought, "maybe a high-aperture shot would look good" So I changed all the settings to match that; I didn't have much in mind. I was testing the waters to see what I could create. I admit I had the idea to create one of those lofi music video backgrounds in the living room, if you know what I mean, and this is what I made after rearranging the decorations.
Hi and welcome! Before offering any advice I would ask what you were trying to achieve with the lights?

Yea, I definitely agree with everything you said. I also might even go for another shot soon; we'll see...
The shot is very nicely done. Along with capturing the top of the tree in the photo, try experimenting with cropping, and crop out the door and light switch on the right side of the pic. That will remove the distraction of the door and move the tree itself slightly off center. I like the items on the coffee table, but you might try putting the book on the end table in the back and rearrange the other items and see how that looks. I like the starburst effect on the lights, as well as the reflection in the window, and the outdoor lights in the background. The lo-fi effect is a plus in this shot. 18mm is pretty wide-angle, so if there is room to step back, that might help. You are off to a very good start!

Welcome to TPF! :) Happy you're here and posting, and getting feedback on your shot. That's why we're here!

I pretty much agree with everything Jeff has suggested for you. You did a lovely job with those sparkly lights and the train. It's nice! But Jeff is correct in pointing out the distractions in your frame. Your subject is the tree and the moving train, with some side elements that speak to the holiday, but everything is too spread out and ends up drawing the viewer's eye all around. Choose your focal point/main subject and let that take up most of the frame, and you'll have a real winner here.

And yes, experiment with horizontal vs vertical angles and take several snaps of each while you're there and set up. That alone would help a lot (the top of the tree would be visible).

Keep posting, and enjoy the forum!

I used a high shutter speed (13 sec. I think) and a lower aperture (probably 5-10)
Wow that's a lot of blue. LOL Welcome, and so glad you're here. You'll find a lot of help here.

First thing you need to do is understand White Balance so you know "why" your image is so blue. Here's a good read on it. What is White Balance in Photography?. The human eye automatically corrects for color casts but your camera doesn't.

Now lets go with some basics, I can't emphasis this enough. Learn your camera and what controls what. According to the EXIF on the image your shutter wasn't 13 sec., it was 3.2 secs, and your aperture wasn't 5-10 it was F/18. Your ISO was 6400. All three of these setting control the exposure. To arrive at the correct settings for your shot you need to understand the Exposure Triangle if you want to shoot in manual. Another basic read Exposure Triangle: Everything You Need to Know Understanding how shutter, aperture, and ISO work together will allow you to make a knowledgeable adjustment.

Next you should read up on composition to capture an interesting image. Another good read to start. What is Composition in Photography?

Finally don't stop shooting, everytime you learn something new.....try it. Looking forward to seeing you progress.

Hey Everone! I have gotten so much helpful information it's almost overwhelming! I never would believe I could get so much helpful feedback! Thank you so much! However, I will review all your tips, the articles, and the competitions you have suggested; If it helps, I have a Canon T2i Rebel, a UV Filter (one used in the photo above), Circular PL, and a Fluorescent lens. Sadly I don't have any software like Lightroom, Just the camera, but I want to get some software first. I need to make sure this is something I want to spend my money on. (Also, I have a few ND filters in the mail). The picture below is the one I re-took last night for anyone who didn't see it. I know about the Exposure Triangle, how to take action shots, and where to go to get my camera checked out, and I have spent an hour or two reading the manual and marking important pages with sticky notes. Thanks to everyone who has given me info and I can't wait to expand my photography skills, hobby, or pro
IMG_5038.JPG

I know about the Exposure Triangle, how to take action shots, and where to go to get my camera
One of the most common things I see in beginners is they don't know what they don't know. There's a difference between knowing about the Exposure Triangle and knowing how to use it. Just like White Balance, if you understand the color of light temperature you'll know how to set your camera.
UV Filter (one used in the photo abov
Why???? Do you know the purpose of a UV filter. Do you know when and how a polarizing is used?
Fluorescent lens
Please explain.....did you maybe mean a fluorescent light?

Hey Everone! I have gotten so much helpful information it's almost overwhelming! I never would believe I could get so much helpful feedback! Thank you so much! However, I will review all your tips, the articles, and the competitions you have suggested; If it helps, I have a Canon T2i Rebel, a UV Filter (one used in the photo above), Circular PL, and a Fluorescent lens. Sadly I don't have any software like Lightroom, Just the camera, but I want to get some software first. I need to make sure this is something I want to spend my money on. (Also, I have a few ND filters in the mail). The picture below is the one I re-took last night for anyone who didn't see it. I know about the Exposure Triangle, how to take action shots, and where to go to get my camera checked out, and I have spent an hour or two reading the manual and marking important pages with sticky notes. Thanks to everyone who has given me info and I can't wait to expand my photography skills, hobby, or proView attachment 262326.
I like this shot! As I tell the barber, a little more off the top, please. ;) I like the additional space including the coffee table, because the edge produces a leading line that directs one to the tree. If you would like some "free" photo editing software, Flickr has a free option and includes a fairly decent set of photo editing tools, but you have to put up with some ads from time to time. You can upload up to 1000 pix, which is pretty generous. That is what I started with.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back