ciao. Florence, Italy set.

Braineack

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
These are all great. Did you post a review of the A6000? Are you a convert?

Yeah, but no convert. if it had controls like a DLSR, then I'd like it much better. And better glass. and it falls apart at 3200 ISO.

It's really hard to fool with settings, where on my Nikon I can do most everything single-handedly--or at least without looking and going through menus. For example, switching the metering mode is pushing a button with my index finger, and then scrolling with my thumb. On the Sony I must click menu, navigate to metering, then pick.

I often have to change the focusing mode from "wide" to "center" as a lot of times it simply won't focus on what I want it to when allowing it to choose from the entire frame. But it does do a great job determining faces and giving them focus priority. Problem is in a scene full of tons of tourists on a street, it might pick a random face to focus on instead of the building I'm aiming for. Picking a focus point is a joke and takes FOREVER to move the point from one side of frame to other, and you must go through the menus to move it; it's on its own keypad on my Nikon.

Composing shots is odd using the EVF instead of looking through the lens, it's a concept I'm still getting used to. There's a reason guns have optics; you look where you're shooting. It is however very handy in a lot of situations. But the fake little viewfinder could be cool if it wasn't so hard to see through--it just doesn't feel quite right holding the tiny camera up to your face; hard to explain. But it is EXTREMELY better in the regards that you can see the image that you'll produce in real time. You can setup your exposure based on what you see in the screen, take the shot, and end up with exact that image. This is something DLSR fall very short on where the Nikon Live View mode is slow and clumsy -- needs a hybrid viewfinder.

Beyond that, I also struggle with how it renders colors in some scenes. My default import settings for the a6000 require a lot of effort to get right. I always have to desaturate the yellows and bump the vibrancy by around 30. It really stink as skin tones.

Sometimes scenes are like completely washed (like without contrast and color) and color hued and I cant correct for it. I also don't think the RAW file is as malleable as the D610. I spend at least twice the time processing my a6000 files than my d600 and it's annoying.

here's a good example:

upload_2016-6-8_20-25-15.png

You can see the amount of adjustments on the sliders. It doesnt hold onto the the detail/information in shadows like my Nikon does, and I feel like faces are always washed out or oranged. Might have something to do with only 12-bit images vs 14-bit.

I'm basically shooting a Sony/Nikon 24MP Crop sensor, but I don't think Sony has the image processing thing down. It just doesn't have the color richness/depth. The kit lens could also be a factor. I can shoot my D610 against the A6000 with the same lens and compare if I really want to.

But shooting at 11fps still makes me giggle and it's SO much easier to lug around than the Nikon though. It's serving itself well, but I'm not ditching my Big Boy camera for it. Supplementing.

Last edited:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back