Circular Polarizer Q

RONDAL

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
alright I feel like a complete idiot because this should be simple.

I have a kenko CP and im trying to figure out how to use it.

It spins in both directions infinitely. I realize as I spin it, it changes the amount of polarization, but how you know where max and min is? I see NO markings on the part that moves, or stays stationary.

Looking straight through it produces no clear indication (as it shouldnt) so how am I supposed to tell.

I feel like an idiot but can someone explain.

Thanks

It does produce a clear indication. It darkens the sky. It makes clouds more defined. Brings greens up. And if shooting at glass or water, removes reflections.

In other words, you look through the camera viewfinder as you turn it.

The effectiveness of the filter is relative to the lens axis angle to the Sun and the Sun's elevation above the horizon.

So, it depends, that's why you use the MARK I eyeball.

so it should be noticeable is what you are saying?because im doing it right now and its not noticeable haha. i feel like a retard.

Last edited:
You should also see the effect just looking through the filter. I can look thru it now and it removes reflection from my glass coffee mug.

Put the filter on your camera and face it at a body of water with a reflection on it when the sun is either to your right or to your left. Look throught the viewfinder and spin the filter. You should see the reflection come in, then out, then back in, etc. The sun should be at about 90 degrees from the angle your lens is pointed. This should work with the sky as well as the greens, but its most noticeable with reflections as they literally go away, almost completely.

Mark

alright I feel like a complete idiot because this should be simple.

I have a kenko CP and im trying to figure out how to use it.

It spins in both directions infinitely. I realize as I spin it, it changes the amount of polarization, but how you know where max and min is? I see NO markings on the part that moves, or stays stationary.

Looking straight through it produces no clear indication (as it shouldnt) so how am I supposed to tell.

I feel like an idiot but can someone explain.

Thanks

I don't know the answer either, but perhaps the company designs it thinking it doesn't matter what the max or min is. They might just think, "Put it where it looks the best, and who cares what 'power' it is." But that seems like a really weak answer, IMO. It wouldn't surprise me if that's what they are thinking when they make it.

I have a question (sorry to hijack). But polarizers don't work with metal reflection, and I get that. But is it just me, or they don't work with glass either? I still get glass glare even with polarization.

Rondal,
I recently got to play with my new CP. You are right, sometimes the change in the viewfinder is very sutle. But the more you use it the more it seems your eyes accept and see that it is helping. Maybe if you can't actually see the changes in the viewfinder initially, mark a spot on the filter ring and do test shots say every quarter turn, then check them out on the computer. Try sky and something with reflections.

Baaaark,
I don't know if these were glass or plexiglass. But I actually did these two shots to test the CP out. It did help a lot.

DSC_2609.jpg

DSC_2610.jpg

With my CPOL, it works extremely well when pointed at cars or trucks with the reflection, both on the windows and the doors and hood. Im not sure about yours, but mine is quantaray (not sure of the quality, but its $70 in the store) and it seems to work wonders especially with water, so im sure the higher quality ones work even better. Ill try to upload pics.

Mark

Ok, so here are some of the pics I took about 5 minutes ago for you.

Without polarizer:
DSC_0185.jpg

With Polarizer:
DSC_0183.jpg

Without polarizer:
DSC_0189.jpg

With Polarizer:
DSC_0191.jpg

Without Polarizer:
DSC_0193.jpg

With Polarizer:
DSC_0194.jpg

So it does maeka big difference. Again, the sun was about 90 degrees to the right of where I was pointing the camera.

Mark

Most reactions

Back