Cleaning: A Rite Of Passage II (Success!)

Cortian

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Bought a used 40D body from Adorama. Thing is in such nice condition I'd swear it was brand new if: 1. They hadn't advertised it as used, 2. It didn't have a 14,600+ shutter count (with which I'm just fine) and 3. The sensor hadn't needed cleaning:

IMG_4703.JPG

Give it a few vigorous shots with the Rocket.
IMG_4705.JPG

Got some of 'em. Let's see what the The Dust Patrol brush can do.
IMG_4707.JPG

Ok, well... both success and failure. Try that again.
IMG_4709.JPG

Nope. Ok: Dry swab.
IMG_4711.JPG

Stubborn bugger, innit? (Btw: Those are clouds in the upper-right.) Ok, wet swab.
IMG_4713.JPG

So close. So close. Again.
IMG_4715.JPG

Yikes!
yikes.gif

And again.
IMG_4717.JPG

Tah DAH!
banana.gif

There are a couple very faint spots remaining in the upper right, but I'm calling this good. If I can just barely make them out with this, at f/22, I doubt they'll ever affect any shots I'll take.

Congrats!!

This is a topic which frightens many photographers who have never cleaned a camera. While many camera shops do offer a cleaning service, that could be $50 and since you can expect the occasionally dust-bunny to re-appear on the sensor from time to time... you may as well learn to clean your own gear.

The actual sensor is hiding between a glass filter (actually usually a couple layers of filters) and the glass is a hard surface and difficult to scratch as long as you aren't being too aggressive. Just work slowly and gently.

yeah enjoy the camera and shooting, I wouldn't get too upset about the dust....shooting at f/22 towards the sky will expose spots on a lot of our bodies.

I too did my sensor clean for the first time recently - my camera is an old 30D but its all I can afford. I did the blow and dry swab but it was no good - I did an online tutorial , got some special swabs and did a wet clean with some lab grade methanol . My sensor is pretty much good as new !

Most reactions

New Topics

Back