Color balance maintained through a sequence of photos?

RowmyF

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I was just thinking about this and it made me wonder..

When I conduct a professional photo session of family portraits, for example, it usually takes 1-2 hours and over that time period the colors change, lighting changes, the warmth in the photos get deeper as it gets later in the day, etc.

Therefore when I provide the client with their proofs a lot of the color balance is different through the collection of photos.

Is that acceptable?

I checked out your blogspot and your photos look incredible. As for an answer to your question...you should definitely shoot in RAW! This will help you adjust the color balance during post processing without having to lose as much detail as when adjusting color balance of a jpeg.

Photos are great but that blog web site totally violates all modicum of civility with uncontrollable loud music.

There are still a few who haven't learned that lesson that the viewer might have a sleeping baby, partner on the phone or otherwise not wish their silence to be destroyed.

Sorry but you must know. It is, however, totally appropriate to have a button which turns the music on. Default is OFF.

Nice pix

carry a white piece of paper and white balance every so often?

Is that acceptable?

If the photos look good then why are you questioning your work. I think it may be unacceptable if the client lets you know they will be displayed side by side. I had that a few weeks ago with 3 night time panoramas and spent about 20 min getting all 3 to have an identical exposure level.

But while something side by side is plainly obvious, individually someone may say the colour looks perfect. Especially if it actually does. Warmer or colder photos can still look good. If the photo were to be green or purple on the other hand I'd re-visit it in processing.

As you point out...the color temp of sun light changes as the time of day changes...so I think it's perfectly acceptable if that is reflected in your photos.

On the other hand, I would say that it's also acceptable if you adjust each photo to how you think it looks best. The idea is to make it look good...not to make it look as accurate as possible.

It also depends on what you are doing for your clients. If they want to pick one or a few of the best shots...then they should all be made to look as good as possible. If the images are for an album or series...then you might want to have the color more consistent. It's up to you.

Your lighting looks so even and amazing. What is your trick?

Photos are great but that blog web site totally violates all modicum of civility with uncontrollable loud music.

I totally second that! I was actually quite shocked when the music started and almost fell off my chair! :confused:

Also, music is always a question of taste, and will always turn off40% of all viewers of a page. There is no taste neutral music.

I would agree that the music is a little loud, I have my speakers at work set so I can just barely make out the words...when your site loaded it was pretty loud. At least you can pause the music to turn it off. The Photos are very nice though. I'd maybe try some music that was a little more soothing...and not so Techno. If you had pictures of dance clubs and bars and whatnot, techno would be a great choice. But your pictures are so calm and peaceful, they are somewhat being tainted by the techno.

I think that a gradual change in white balance is entirely acceptable - it reflects reality (late afternoon vs. midday etc.) and creates intrigue for it's non-uniformity (perhaps diversity would make more sense...).

I love your pics but only saw about 8 of them before the music made me frantically close the window (my speakers pump music in a retail environment powered by my pc - I have all my beeps and dings turned off on the comp. and am always startled when I have a sudden "noise" blare through). You may get more visitors if there were no music :) Not criticizing, just a suggestion.

Keep shooting!!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back