Concert Photography

sarahkate297

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
i live in virgina which has a lot of local locatio
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Im going to the concert of the year in 6 days and i want to know what the best setting is to take pictures with. the concert is inside at night, and will have a lightshow and probably pyrotechniques, i have a nikon D60 with the basic 18-55mm lens
can anyone help me? i want this to be perfect

A Nikon 70-200 f/2.8 VR and shooting at ISO 800, shutter speed 1/50, and aperture f/2.8.

That’s my uneducated guess.

Im going to the concert of the year in 6 days and i want to know what the best setting is to take pictures with. the concert is inside at night, and will have a lightshow and probably pyrotechniques, i have a nikon D60 with the basic 18-55mm lens
can anyone help me? i want this to be perfect

There is no 'best setting,' more than there is 'your' setting. Have you gone to the venue yet to get a gist of what it'll be like on concert day?

Here are some tips:

1) If this event is important enough, I would rent a lens for the event. I don't know Nikon's lens lineup (I shoot Canon, primarily), but I would get something with a good zoom range (wide-angle to telephoto preferred) that's fast (f/2.8 or less). You can rent some awesome glass for less than $100/week, but some places may need to clear your credit card for the cost of the lens in case of damage, so be prepared for that (AND DON'T BREAK THE LENS!).

2) A fast lens is especially important, considering that there will be a lightshow and pyro and any use of flash will kill the effects...your stock lens probably has a max aperture of f/3.5, which will force you to use a very high ISO speed...not recommended. The noise will stand out.

3) Just in case, bring an external flash.

Hope that helps!

Are you going as a photographer of the event? If not, make sure the venue and band allow others to take photographs. Many places do not allow cameras anymore.

Call that venue and make SURE that you can have a camera with you. If not, DO NOT bring your camera.
Not unless you want to have to run it back out to your car, or you want some unknown person to hold onto your camera while you're at the show.
Both of those options would make me panic.

Unfortunately, that lens is going to get you zilch unless you use flash, but then you'll get ugly, unnaturally-lit photos.

Simple answer: you need a new lens, or you need to rent one.

If you're standing close to the stage...

Best option: 50mm AF-S f/1.4. It's expensive at around $450, but it's Nikon's fastest (and so far only) lens that will meter and autofocus on the D40/D60.

Second-best option: 50mm AF-S f/1.8. Still very fast (definitely fast enough for concert lighting) and also very cheap at less than $150 new. It will meter, but not autofocus on your camera.

Third-best option: 50mm f/1.8 AI/AI-S (or Series E, which is the same thing, but weighs less because of different build materials). You can find these gems in perfect shape on eBay for less than $50. I paid $40 for my Series E and I love it. You will only be able to use it in full manual, but it's pretty easy once you get the hang of it and you can't beat the price.

If you're standing further away from the stage, your options are more limited and expensive. You basically need a fast zoom like a 70-200 or 80-200 f/2.8, which both run over $1000 to buy.

thank you guys for your input, to answer your questions no i dont get to see the venues the day before but yes my camera is allowed, that lens is the only one i have and i cant rent or buy another because i have like 17 cents in my bank account so i have to make due with what i have

thank you guys for your input, to answer your questions no i dont get to see the venues the day before but yes my camera is allowed, that lens is the only one i have and i cant rent or buy another because i have like 17 cents in my bank account so i have to make due with what i have

That being the case your going to have to shoot at the highest possible ISO which will give you a bunch of noise. The image quality wont be all that great but some PP will make them better. Unless your going to be just off stage there isnt a lot of hope to be honest

Most reactions

New Topics

Back