Conversation-stopping answer to an idle question

The administration is pretty picky about who gets to take these classes so, if he had been in any trouble 'lately' he wouldn't be there.
There are several prisons in Maryland and a way of keeping gang related violence down is to break up groups and ship the individuals to different places.
This guy has been in this same prison for 20+ years so he must be keeping calm.

I have met a good many of very long term prisoners and they are, at least to me, pretty calm.

I will repeat an anecdote.

Respect is real currency in prison.
The COs require it and prisoners rarely get it overtly.

I asked the exec dir of our little 501c3 what I should call the students and how I should encourage them to address me.
He told me that the inmates will always call me Doctor or Professor because, if someone with status pays attention to them, they get get some status reflected.
First class I put my first and last names on the board and passed out adhesive name labels with the request that they write on that how they would like to be addressed.
A good number wrote Mr ....... and some, with a bit more confidence, just put their nicknames.
Without exception, even the friendliest of them, address me as Dr. or Professor.

There is a real issue in prison management.
When someone has a tough sentence like this, how do you punish them for in-prison infractions?

My own real life is very difficult these days and going to the prison is a vacation from reality and I look forward to it.

Last edited:
My high school math teacher taught in prison before he came to our school. It was kind of odd since he was the least assuming person you'd think would teach there - in his mid 60's, soft spoken.

My girls cousin just got out after 17 years.

Oh the stories....

If anyone is moved by my not so poignant experiences the website is JCI Scholars Program and they are happy to accept donations.
We are trying to raise $ for a dozen PCs.
The prison system cannot accept actual electronic hardware (for fear of communications with outside) but can accept $ and buy them for us.

And here is the page with the Paypal link Support Our Work

Most reactions

New Topics

Back