Cool link: Thinking about photographs

Thanks. I bookmarked that one. I forgot how cool it is reading about the masters. I immediately went to Bernice Abbott. That period may or may not be photography's golden age. At any rate I wish I was a young assistant working with Abbott or Steiglitz. In college we discussed "what is the fascination with our past?" Of course that is a whole other thread.

I have to say that I love where I am at. Photography's golden age is now. None the less my daydreams go to New York in the 20's. Abbott's (I am not sure if that was ever her's) 4x5 is one of the coolest I have ever seen.

craig said:
Abbott's (I am not sure if that was ever her's) 4x5 is one of the coolest I have ever seen.

Abbott has always been a favorite of mine too. The 4x5 monorail they have pictured looks too modern to have been used for much of her work. I think they have posted that pic as a general example for folks who've never seen a large format camera.

Here is a link to the camera I'm pretty sure she did a lot of her work with. It was very popular at the time. I've been lusting after one, but they are pretty expensive in good condition. I may have to find a junker, and make it a project. If I win the lottery Wisner is actually making new models, but they run $3000+.

http://graflex.org/articles/series-d/

Most reactions

Back