Cost Effective Ultra-Long Lens Solution

Do I recall that teleconverters don't play particularly well with zooms?

Any teleconverter work adequately with a 55-300? (TC-201 or TC-301 for example?)

EDIT: I always thought of a converter as going between the body and the lens,but I guess some screw in as a filter on the end.... did not know.

Last edited:
@wyogirl - Less than $300 is cheap to me.

I have a 4/3rds camera mainly for long lenses. It has a 2x crop factor. The bodies are $100-$150, manual focus lenses (200/300/400) are between $50 and $250.

Any teleconverter work adequately with a 55-300? (TC-201 or TC-301 for example?)

EDIT: I always thought of a converter as going between the body and the lens,but I guess some screw in as a filter on the end.... did not know.

Teleconverters will cause you to lose 1 fstop for a 1.4x, or 2 fstops for a 2x. Most autofocus lenses won't allow enough light into the camera for it to autofocus properly once you hit around F8 or so, so most slower telephotos won't autofocus with a teleconverter. Of course a lot of these lenses are going to be manual focus only anyway, but I think once you throw a TC on something like this the results would probably be a bit sketchy even in very bright sunlight.

My advice, save yourself the $200-$300 you'd spend on something like this, save up some extra dough until you hit around $500 or so, and get yourself a used Sigma 150-500 or something in that range. There are a lot of them on the market since a lot of folks using them went to the Tamron 100-600's,

Just my two cents worth of course, but unless your shooting at stationery objects with a tripod I think your going to find using something like this difficult at best. YMMV of course.

Teleconverters that attach to the front of the lens are really only made for the fixed-lens camera systems where they have no other choice; and they also tend to be pretty poor performers too.

Teleconverters that fit between body and lens are generally better, but even they have their limits. Most zooms can't take a telconverter - if they can take one then its only the 1.4TC. Now there are some outstanding zoom lenses coming out now which can do really well with a teleconverter - but they tend to be right up there in the higher price brackets.

I wouldn't use a 150-500mm with a teleconverter for anything but a record shot - because image quality is going to suffer a lot.

Of course if all you do is post photos online then you can get away with a lot more because by resizing and sharpening in stages you can claw a lot back; online display is very forgiving when processed right and as such sometimes people will shoot with a "softer" setup because at the end of the day it makes little difference to their chosen display medium.

Most reactions

Back