Cowboy

I think this has excellent potential as a B&W (or even a sepia) but it's just a little too mid-tone rich (Grey). Needs a contrast boost and maybe a slight drop in exposure too. The big issue for me however is the composition; the actual subject represents a tiny bit of the bottom, centre of the image. I would suggest re-cropping (or re-shooting if you can) so that the chld takes up much more of the image. I would try and frame it so that the middle of his nose is centred on a point which is 1/3 in from image right, and 2/3 down from the top with some of the door and the walls behind.

Great idea!

Thanks for your great feedback, John. I fully agree with your comment about the rule of thirds. The problem is that this image was actually an "accident", as I was preparing to shoot it without the kid... until he came out the door. This was at a public place and I don't know the kid so I can't reshoot (on top of which I never stage shoots).

Also agreed on the contrast. I tried to add some to the B&W version, but when I achieve good contrast on the wall the top section of the door tends to disappear. You know, I post-process with lousy Picasa :)

I think it works better when you don't cut his body in half.

I think it works better when you don't cut his body in half.

The problem is that this image was actually an "accident", as I was preparing to shoot it without the kid... until he came out the door.

... plus the handrail was hiding the rest of this kid's body (a hint of the handrail can be seen on the bottom left of the image).

That being said, you are absolutely right.

Most reactions

Back