Crazy cropping capability of 40mp

SquarePeg

hear me roar
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I don't shoot a lot of macro and only recently upgraded to 40mp so maybe this is old hat for a lot of you... the cropping possibilities with 40mp are amazing! Here is the original photo un-cropped and the final cropped version. Photo taken with the 70-300mm at 300 with 11mm and 16mm extension tubes. Hand held, f/8 / ISO 250 / 1/250. Edited in Lr and Topaz Sharpen.

In real life, even with my glasses on I could barely make out this fly. It was just a speck of blue on the yellow dill.

Fly on Dill by SharonCat..., on Flickr

Fly on Dill by SharonCat..., on Flickr

IMG_3016.jpeg

Wonderful images, that fly is like a Faberge jewel!

This mad cropping reminds me of my old Nokia 808 which I had back in 2012, had a 41mp camera (!!)

Used to love showing off it's capabilties by zooming into pics taken at full resolution.

My wife had one too and I still have both of them boxed, so way ahead of their time - maybe they will be collectible one day.

Makes a macro lens redundant really but apart from that, the cropped image is just beautiful.
Thanks! Agree - was looking into macro lenses and then remembered I had the extension tubes after someone else posted here or on Facebook about using them with the 70-300. Glad I didn’t spend the money. This is close enough for me. For now at least.
Wonderful images, that fly is like a Faberge jewel!

This mad cropping reminds me of my old Nokia 808 which I had back in 2012, had a 41mp camera (!!)

Used to love showing off it's capabilties by zooming into pics taken at full resolution.

My wife had one too and I still have both of them boxed, so way ahead of their time - maybe they will be collectible one day.
The blue colors on the fly against the yellow were what caught my eye but could only see the blue on the body when shooting, even with the viewfinder zoomed in. I was pleasantly surprised by the wings!

My set will be here on July 5th. Had to find a set that would fit both my Z50 and Z8. I'll use the 100-400 on the Z8 and the 50-250 on the Z50. Thanks for the info, Sharon.

Manual tubes are a cheap way to explore macro, those with contacts that allow communication between lens and camera are more, but still less than a good macro lens. Now all you need is a good focus rail.

The problem with cropping comes in when you try to print. At full image the file resolution of XT5 is 7728 x 5152, which at 300 dpi will produce a 25 "x 17" print. Crop it to 1/4 of the original (1932x1288) while it will still look okay on the internet, will be limited to a 6"x4" print. That's the advantage of filling the frame.

Last edited:
Looks like you had fun doing those.

My set will be here on July 5th. Had to find a set that would fit both my Z50 and Z8. I'll use the 100-400 on the Z8 and the 50-250 on the Z50. Thanks for the info, Sharon.
Awesome. Can’t wait to see all the FL creeoy crawlies and tropical flower macros!

Manual tubes are a cheap way to explore macro, those with contacts that allow communication between lens and camera are more, but still less than a good macro lens. Now all you need is a good focus rail.

The problem with cropping comes in when you try to print. At full image the file resolution of XT5 is 7728 x 5152, which at 300 dpi will produce a 25 "x 17" print. Crop it to 1/4 of the original (1932x1288) while it will still look okay on the internet, will be limited to a 6"x4" print. That's the advantage of filling the frame.
Interesting info. While I don’t ever see myself hanging a shot of a fly or caterpillar on my walls, you never know. Maybe worth giving Gigapixel AI a run if that ever comes up. I haven’t found much use for it otherwise.

Looks like you had fun doing those.
I did.

Interesting info. While I don’t ever see myself hanging a shot of a fly or caterpillar on my walls, you never know. Maybe worth giving Gigapixel AI a run if that ever comes up. I haven’t found much use for it otherwise.
The biggest problem with rescaling an image is that it has to estimate the pixels in between which most times results in objectionable smoothing. AI is better at it, but it's still not the same as actual pixel data.

My avatar photo is a super extreme shot from an APS-C camera. At small resolutions it looks okay, but blow it up snd it quickly gets bad.

Awesome. Can’t wait to see all the FL creeoy crawlies and tropical flower macros!

I did.
I posted some of my creepy crawlies on the gardening page a few moments ago.

Fantastic! I agree, the tubes make a macro lens redundant. The one thing I like on my macro is that f/2.8 aperture, but aside from that, if I had known about the tubes before I purchased the lens, I would have probably just been satisfied with the tubes.

Most reactions

Back