Critique of a railroad picture

Bokeh

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.tracymilburn.com
Hi,

I haven't shot much at night. I like this shot, my only concern is the strong foreground of the canes in front of the building. However, I do like the pattern of the canes, and it almost seems to server as an "underscore" to the building's sign.

I took this shot from the onset to be a well-composed, appealing picture, and not as a "snapshot" so please give me your criticism here. I spotted this as a good candidate for a nice photo. Please let me know if I need to repost it in a bigger size.

rail.jpg

I like the upper-half of the image (The canes and building look really good), but the bottom seems annoying. The first light is definitely too bright, and I think it worsens the image. I also don't like that some of the ground is lit up but the rest is not. It should either all be dark or all be a little lit up.

Good night shot, though!

Mo said:
Yeah, Photoshop it out. I think it'll look much better.

Better? I lightened it up a bit to reveal more of the railroad track itself, and also I removed the overly-bright rail light.

I just love this photo! I'm going to have it printed...

Any other thoughts? Thanks

Oh, no worries, Tracy, I like the photos that we're getting to see now, too! If I were you and had been able to get such a nice night-time photo, I'd frame it, too! :)

It's just that I didn't get round to looking at much on here in the past 2 days.

I'd have loved to see the "history" of the photo, i.e. the version that you and Mo were discussing at length as opposed to the one that is up now...

2Stupid2Duck said:
No, no. I quite like the shot. Is there a damn post over top of the letter 'I" tho?

Argh! Alas, tis true... the only flaw in the pic imho. And I think I would have a very hard time getting rid of it. I considered moving for a different angle but that angle was really perfect to me. Darn pole! Oh well.

LaPhoto, the history is mainly that I cropped out a really bright light, which was the first light in the picture. It was slightly lightened to reveal more of the rail track as well.

This was done with "the" Canon 50mm 1.4 I just love that lens, it's simply awesome.

I'm definitely going to get it printed this weekend and see how it turns out. Thanx for the comments.

Most reactions

Back