Critique this photo. Too soft?

Discussion in 'General Gallery' started by photojunky, Jan 14, 2004.

1. photojunky

photojunky TPF Noob!

This photo is the result of 15 exposures on a single frame. It is kind of interesting but I think I would like it better if it were sharper. I didn’t achieve the results I was looking for. I now have the exposure formula down but haven’t perfected how much to move the camera in-between each exposure. As you can there is a little bit of a ghost effect. (RB67 Pro, 100 ASA film shot at 1600 for 16 exposures)
    www.onlinephotogallery.com
    [​IMG]

2. tr0gd0o0r

tr0gd0o0r TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    very interesting shot. Yeah you do have the exposure formula right. How'd you figure that out btw, trial and error or is there actually a formula? I'd say play w/ movement some more, get it right and see if its sharp. definitly needs to be sharper tho

3. vonnagy

vonnagy have kiwi, will travel...

Photos NOT OK to edit
    interesting technique, but I when i first looked at it I thought it was camera shake.

The shot is well framed but i am just curious - if this shot came out exactly the way you wanted it to, what kind of effect did you want to a accheive? More of ghosting effect as you had mentioned?

Usually i like graveyards in black n white, but the green grass here looks good! Are you going to try more shots here?

4. photojunky

photojunky TPF Noob!

Actually I was looking for an effect that would make the image look more like a watercolor painting. It just happens to be a shot that would look better sharp than the type of shot I should have been shooting such as fall leaves or flowers. The exposure was an educated guess/trial and error. I have attempted this before but am determined this time to get it right. More to soon come.

5. .glib

.glib TPF Noob!

It would be interesting to see that shot from two alternating positions that weren't too far appart so you got a very slight ghosting. Might make you feel kinda drunk looking at it?

6. tr0gd0o0r

tr0gd0o0r TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I just took a closer look and had a though. In this photo it looks like there is a walkway or something about halfway up. If its nota walkway there is still a large space b/t the gravestones. Behind this walkway everything looks great. It'd be really neat if you could find a way to keep the front in focus and have that effect in the background. Of course I realize that would be nearly impossible.

7. ksmattfish

ksmattfish Now 100% DC - not as cool as I once was, but still

Photos NOT OK to edit
    So what was the proper exposure for the scene if shot normally, and what did you use?

It's early, and I haven't had my coffee yet, but I'm thinking that a good starting point for 16 exposures on a single frame would be to under expose each shot by 4 stops. Each stop cuts the light in half, so four stops would make each exposure 1/16th of the recommended exposure for a single shot. Does this make sense?

8. photojunky

photojunky TPF Noob!

If you want 10 shots per frame, expose the film at one/tenth what a proper exposure would be.

Example: If your proper exposure is 60th of a second, then shoot it as close as possible to 600th of a second 10 times. You may have to adjust your aperture slightly to compensate.
    www.onlinephotogallery.com
    [​IMG]