Cropping

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by groovygran, Sep 24, 2007.

1. groovygran

groovygran TPF Noob!

I have just purchased a Nikon 40 which has 6 mega pixels (only a small step up from my Canon point and shoot camera at 5 mega pixels)

I told the salesperson I liked to crop - but he convinced me that I didn't need to worry about that as I bought a 55 x 200 lens as well. He said the lens would take care of the need to crop.

Well - since owning the camera for a couple of days - I am rather wondering if I shouldn't of bought the Nikon 40X with 10 mega pixels. I am able to return the camera in 2 weeks if I am not satisfied.

I took photos of my little grandson playing soccer and even with the 55 x 200 lens I could not bring him as close as I would like. I do think if I could crop the photo -I could see him better and would like the photos much better.

I also took photos of a newborn grandchild and decided the tiny bare feet would make a lovely photo just on their own.

As you see, I rather like to crop !

What do you kind people advice regarding cropping. Should I have more mega pixels in a camera ???

What should I know about cropping?

Cheers

2. scottl

scottl TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    The number of megapixels you need really depend on the size of the picture you are resizing or cropping to. A 6 megapixel is plenty if you are cropping and resizing to anything up to 8x10 and probably even bigger without problems.

Scott

3. Richard

Richard TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    Are you going to be printing them or just sending them through email. If you might print then I suggest you do a test print with one of your pictures that you had to crop a lot out. If it looks good then you are all set if not then getting the 10 mp will help, or look for a longer lens.