Crystal bags vs Eco bags for archival prints.

tommr

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Does anyone have experience with "Eco Bags".
They are not archival but I wonder if they impart any nasty stuff to my cards.
I don't suppose the cards or prints stay in the bags for a long time so that is not my worry.
My concern is I spend for nice paper and take time to make archival prints and I don't want them spoiled with residue from plant based bags.
On the other hand I know some people (customers) have a problem with crystal plastic bags.
We are just coming into our busy season and I need to pull the trigger one way or another.

In my experience, "eco" is slang for, "Won't last a week". Offer both, but with a price premium for the eco, and a clear disclaimer that because of the nature of the product, you can make no guarantee about how long they will last and will not accept responsibility for any damage to product stored in these bags.

Have you called ECO?

I took a quick look at their site. All their wares are cotton/hemp/recyclable plastics. I don't see a problem with plant residue ... this stuff is all processed and cured/stabilized.

If your customer base, or a portion of your customer base is sensitive to environmental concerns, then go ECO. If you have any environmental concerns, then go ECO. Additionally, ECO seems to promote a sensitivity to their workers both abroad and at home. ECO has a ton of certifications, even the Sierra Club ... if you use ECO bags you can also use their certification as your own (for the bag part of your business). I don't know about New York, but in California, people actually read labels of what they're purchasing and will select a product which is reuseable and recyclable over one destined for the landfill.

If it were me, I'd choose making the world better, even in a small way, over putting a little more coin in my pocket.

I couldn't find a "Crystal Plastic Bag" site.

Have you called ECO?

I took a quick look at their site. All their wares are cotton/hemp/recyclable plastics. I don't see a problem with plant residue ... this stuff is all processed and cured/stabilized.

If your customer base, or a portion of your customer base is sensitive to environmental concerns, then go ECO. If you have any environmental concerns, then go ECO. Additionally, ECO seems to promote a sensitivity to their workers both abroad and at home. ECO has a ton of certifications, even the Sierra Club ... if you use ECO bags you can also use their certification as your own (for the bag part of your business). I don't know about New York, but in California, people actually read labels of what they're purchasing and will select a product which is reuseable and recyclable over one destined for the landfill.

If it were me, I'd choose making the world better, even in a small way, over putting a little more coin in my pocket.

I couldn't find a "Crystal Plastic Bag" site.
That is because spelling, like punctuation is important.

themockdock.jpg

ff9ec61ffd1cb6d7aed363e8e74dce7a.jpg

Krystal Seal Self Sealing Art, Print, and Photo Bags - BLICK art materials

Last edited:
Ahhhhhhhh, there it is. (lol)

While Blick has some green products, it appears that the archival bags are not labeled recycled/recyclable.

Other than tireiron, you most likely will not add to your customer base by using a Krystal Bag. I suspect you will retain more customers and maybe add some that are on the fence, by going green.

Even if the bags make no difference at all in customer retention or base ... at the end of the day, going green gotta make you feel a bit better.

Thanks for the input.
I would prefer to use something that is more natural for a variety of reasons and was hoping to find someone with first hand experience. But most of all just want to be sure they will not damage the photographs. z
Bad enough they put the adhesive on the flap.
There is no question in my mind with regard to durability, we sell an awful lot of cards and they rotate out quickly. The envelope is merely a way to protect the card from customer handling.
The sample they sent seem strong enough.
I have never use Krystal bags so I can't speak to them.
I buy my Crystal clear bags @ Buy Flat Bags - Zipper Bags - Gusset Bags | Crystal Clear Bags and they are now offering the ECO bags in a size that will accommodate a 5x7 Museo card.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back