D3200 vs D7100.....

Another difference if you ever get to sophisticated lighting, is the D7x00 can control off-camera flashes, as the pop-up flash has a CLS Commander mode.

And that second control wheel IS important, not just for flash. The front wheel controls aperture in aperture-priority or manual mode. On the D3x00 and D5x00, there's some button you have to hold to make the one-and-only wheel control aperture in manual mode, as without the button it controls shutter. Confusing.

So: bracketing, better AF, AF on more lenses (plus it meters on older manual-focus lenses, which the "baby" Nikons do not,) faster (way faster) continuous shutter, real pentaprism for better viewfinder, dual SD cards, second control wheel, CLS multi-flash control, 2 User-settable memories to store ALL settings in the camera for instant setup.....

It's not even a decision, really!!! :)

Just to update this thread......Today, I purchased a new D7100. I have the battery charging right now. Can't wait to try it out......again, I really appreciate the responses to my question.......haven't been this excited since I replaced my Mamyia 645 with a Bronica ETRS.....

I've had my 3200 for a year, and while I like it, I think the manual controls on the 7100 would be more to my liking (the more I can control without the menu, the better I like it). Other than that, is there any real compelling reason for me to get a 7100....I realize this question is very subjective. I think the 7100 would open me up to a wider selection of good lenses.....If I am wrong, please correct me. I am retired, and photography is just a hobby, for me. TIA for your opinions......btw, the 7100 body is now running about $900......

I didn't read this thread, so if this is a repeat, sorry. With great power comes great responsibility.... ehhhhh. What I mean to say is with the D7100, you will need to get quality glass in order to take full advantage of the thing. I've heard time and time again from novice photographers complaining about the D7100 when they're shooting with toy glasses. The D7100 will help you grow, and the D7100 will probably carry you for years, unless you're like me....always itching for a new toy. If the possibility of getting a used D600 is in the picture, I would for that instead. The ff sensor just gives you so much more room to be creative.

Most reactions

Back