D40 + Fast Moving Objects?

Rich-D

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
So the deciding factor of me getting the Nikon D40 for my birthday is its ability to take pictures of things in motion. The camera has a manual focus lens (stock) so you have to constantly adjust for fast moving targets (and moving targets in general). I was just wondering how easy is it to do this?

Edit: I was thinking.. How easy is it to get a subject (non-moving) 100% in focus with manual focusing? I mean, you can see that the subject will be in focus for the most part, but wouldn't you also have the problem of some pictures being a bit blurred because you didn't focus all the way? I hope someone understands what I mean here..

Last edited:
what lens do you have stock?

the D40 kit lens is usually the 18-55 f3.5 or the 18-105. All have AutoFocus capability simply by half pressing the shutter down to get the focus.

I shot sports, cars, and trains with my D40 with no issues

Assuming that you're not trying to focus on anything crazy fast, then it's relatively easy with a little practice, assuming that your lens isn't too slow (That is, the viewfinder is fairly bright).

what lens do you have stock?

the D40 kit lens is usually the 18-55 f3.5 or the 18-105. All have AutoFocus capability simply by half pressing the shutter down to get the focus.

I shot sports, cars, and trains with my D40 with no issues

Really? I thought the 18-55 was manual focusing?

Here it says AF Nikkor will not autofucus with the D40 - D40x and D60.

The D40 kit lens is auto focus :) Should serve you well until you can get some faster glass.

Really? I thought the 18-55 was manual focusing?

Here it says AF Nikkor will not autofucus with the D40 - D40x and D60.

Ah, never mind. The lens is a AF-S Nikkor, not AF Nikkor.

I guess I may get the camera after all! Thanks for the help!

post some pics here after you get it!
clear.gif

Most reactions

New Topics

Back