D800 images from nikonrumors.com

Yeah i was hoping more for two models. A 36mp for the landscape guys, and an 18mp low light performer for the rest of us. Oh well the d700 is an outstanding camera even if 3-4 years old. I'll probably just be buying it

That D800 WILL release with the 36mp as RUMORED. It wasn't meant to augment the D700 further, but in fact a totally different camera to compliment the D4 or whatever new flagship to be announced for March. That flood in taiwan didn't help matters and mitigates a lot of production progression. I like the humor on this forum though... nice to know I'm not around forum police all day haha.

I have to wonder if the 36mp sensor is not just the 24mp Sony sensor that's on A77 and A65 just full frame... If so I wonder if the noise performance will be significantly better?

I will be utterly astonished if the D800 has a 36 or even 24 MP image sensor.

As more pixels get crammed into the same amount of real estate they have to be smaller. Smaller pixels gather less signal. Less signal means worse signal-to-noise ratios (SNR) or more image noise.

Look at Nikons 2 versions of the D3, the D3s and the D3x.

The D3s has 12.1 MP, the D3x has 24.5 MP.

The 12.1 MP D3s has the best high ISO performance of any 35 mm format DSLR. The D3s base ISO range is ISO 200 to ISO 12,800 with HI 3 at the equivelent of ISO 102,400, and is intended to be used by sports shooters.

The 24.5 MP D3x, Intended for use as a studio camera, has a base ISO range of just ISO 100 to ISO 1600 and few will ever use HI 3 at ISO 6400.

So what do you think the ISO range might be for a camera that has 36 MP? There have been no recent revolutions in electronics that significantly improve SNR.

I would much rather focus on pixel quality rather than pixel count. My D700 works fine for me. My printing needs rarely exceed 20x30. I'm still considering getting a D3s.

That D800 WILL release with the 36mp as RUMORED. It wasn't meant to augment the D700 further, but in fact a totally different camera to compliment the D4 or whatever new flagship to be announced for March. That flood in taiwan didn't help matters and mitigates a lot of production progression. I like the humor on this forum though... nice to know I'm not around forum police all day haha.

What has Nikon got to do with Taiwan? And there's no flood in Taiwan.

Nikon D800 seems to have some decent info about the D800. However, I still believe it will not be released for a while now, although Nikon Rumors has reported that a commercial was filmed for it, I still find it hard to believe. Especially since Nikon has been dealing with so many natural disasters these past years.

I'd eat my hat if Nikon brought out the D800 with 36mp. I've seen this elsewhere with someone saying that Nikon is going to kill medium format with a 36 mp sensor on its D800. As for saying that the D800 is a different camera to the D700 and not an upgrade, that's nonsense as most people will think of it as exactly that. I simply cannot see Nikon trebling the resolution of the D700. It doesn't how Nikon has done things in the past. I can possibly see it being towards 24mp.

I hope all the 36MP naysayers are correct on this one! If Nikon go this route, it concerns me.

With this move, it means Nikon are now going a similar route to Canon and Sony. To me, it means they are putting megapixel numbers in front of getting the best performance which Canon and Sony have been doing for years now.

The 50D was proof of this from Canon, a camera rushed to production with poor high ISO performance but hey who cares it had 15MP? The A77 is proof of this from Sony, the 24MP sensor developed by Sony is a piece of trash in its current state. Sony have released a sensor that has 24MP but dreadful noise control which goes to prove Sony have jumped the gun with the A77 release. I pray that Nikon are selective over the sensors they use from Sony from now on, I do understand though that Nikon do further development on the sensors they get from Sony to improve performance.

In summary, I hope Nikon stays the company who puts ultimate performance ahead of Marketing gimmicks. I think 24MP would be a perfect resolution figure for the D800. Perhaps an improved D3X sensor?

What has Nikon got to do with Taiwan? And there's no flood in Taiwan.

Opps meant to say Thailand sorry.

Sony have released a sensor that has 24MP but dreadful noise control which goes to prove Sony have jumped the gun with the A77 release. I pray that Nikon are selective over the sensors they use from Sony from now on, I do understand though that Nikon do further development on the sensors they get from Sony to improve performance.

Is the 24MP sensor the same one in the NEX7? All I've heard are good things about the NEX7. It looks pretty too.

Sony have released a sensor that has 24MP but dreadful noise control which goes to prove Sony have jumped the gun with the A77 release. I pray that Nikon are selective over the sensors they use from Sony from now on, I do understand though that Nikon do further development on the sensors they get from Sony to improve performance.

Is the 24MP sensor the same one in the NEX7? All I've heard are good things about the NEX7. It looks pretty too.

Yes Nick, the sensors are shared. Thats why I would prefer a NEX 5N to the NEX7. My dream mirror less compact remains the Fuji X100.

I heard a rumour that Nikon was selling up to Pentax - allowing them to make the new Penkon 42MP 1.543 crop sensor camera body with sensors now made by Microsoft.

Most reactions

Back