D90 or D5100

having owned the d5000 and d7000, i can say this, the d7000 definately has more controls BUT when i had the d5000 and shot with it often, i could change the functions just as easily. Once you become familiar with it you get just as fast, in fact i slowed down a bit when i went to d7000 but once i got used to it, i was just as fast with either camera.

As for more advanced features? wtf? a leica sells for $9000 it doesn't have ANY advanced features. All you need is some knowledge and manual controls.

I'll agree CLS is AWESOME but then when you have to spend extra money to get it why not just buy a sb-700? you'll have an extra flash and that function.
You dont need AF motor's unless you have lenses from before.

the d5100 IS a better camera than the d90, Image quality and ISO sensitivity are king, and it has the same quality and sensitivity as the d7000. I'd take it over the d90. over a d7000? thats a tougher decision.

I gonna ask what is maybe a stupid question but, where does the new d3200 stack up in this?

I have to agree with Zamanakhan. My only camera for the last week has been my sisters D5100 and it takes some time to get use to... BUT...

The menu system is very intuitive and only takes nano seconds of button clicking to change settings once you're used to it. When you set the Function button to ISO all of your primary controls are available just by feel. Changing AF or metering mode etc just takes 2 or 3 twitches of your right thumb on the buttons. No big deal.

The D5100 is an entry level DSLR marketed at younger women. If you are adept at using an I-Phone then the D5100 will be a piece of cake.

Oh, BTW, so far the D5100 IQ is just as good as my D7000 with the same lenses etc...

Unfortunately, the D90 still has a fair share of menu diving when compared to the D7000 or the Prosumer and Pro Nikon's.
Some examples perhaps? Fair share is a bit of an overstatement.

I have to agree with Zamanakhan. My only camera for the last week has been my sisters D5100 and it takes some time to get use to... BUT...The menu system is very intuitive and only takes nano seconds of button clicking to change settings once you're used to it. When you set the Function button to ISO all of your primary controls are available just by feel. Changing AF or metering mode etc just takes 2 or 3 twitches of your right thumb on the buttons. No big deal.The D5100 is an entry level DSLR marketed at younger women. If you are adept at using an I-Phone then the D5100 will be a piece of cake.Oh, BTW, so far the D5100 IQ is just as good as my D7000 with the same lenses etc...
Maybe to you, but others like to keep their eyes in the viewfinder as much as possible.

Also, "nano seconds"? Really......

A nanosecond (ns) is one billionth of a second (10−9 s). One nanosecond is to one second as one second is to 31.7 years.

Doubtful...

Last edited:
My wife and I shoot local track motorsports. She uses the D7000 and I use the D5100. I like the D7000 better because it fits my hand better. I bought the D5100 because it fits our budget better. The wife has even complained of sore hand/cramps after a long night racing, yet she won't swap me for the D5100.
I have yet to program my function button for ISO, but that is a good idea. It does take me a few seconds if I want to change my ISO during a race but I usually have it set pretty much where I want it before the engines are started.
As far as picture quality, I would say both cameras are pretty close to equal with the same processor in both.
Settings may be a little different but for comparison sake,
D7000, front stretch just before getting into turn 1:
$D7K_7616.jpg
D5100, coming off turn 4:
$DSC_0827.jpg

I have to agree with Zamanakhan. My only camera for the last week has been my sisters D5100 and it takes some time to get use to... BUT...The menu system is very intuitive and only takes nano seconds of button clicking to change settings once you're used to it. When you set the Function button to ISO all of your primary controls are available just by feel. Changing AF or metering mode etc just takes 2 or 3 twitches of your right thumb on the buttons. No big deal.The D5100 is an entry level DSLR marketed at younger women. If you are adept at using an I-Phone then the D5100 will be a piece of cake.Oh, BTW, so far the D5100 IQ is just as good as my D7000 with the same lenses etc...
Maybe to you, but others like to keep their eyes in the viewfinder as much as possible.

Also, "nano seconds"? Really......

A nanosecond (ns) is one billionth of a second (10−9 s). One nanosecond is to one second as one second is to 31.7 years.

Doubtful...

That's my whole point... I found it easy to adapt to and I suspect others would find the same. I had my doubts after hearing all the whinging from others yet it just takes some quick getting-use-to. I think people who are buying an entry level DSLR should probably spend more time looking at the LCD to contemplate or verify their settings before committing to a shot. People buying a D800 should expect to keep their face on the viewfinder at all times. All in my opinion of course.

I set the function button to ISO and the AE-L/AF-L button to "AF On" so I can leave the AF mode in continuous and use back button focusing. That way I have a hard button for ISO and never have to change AF mode. The only other setting that I change regularly is the metering mode and since the menu remembers the last changed setting when i press the "info" button twice it's usually already on what I want to change so *click click* ready to meter and shoot.

And of course I know what a nano second is, I was just using hyperbole to make my point.

I set the function button to ISO and the AE-L/AF-L button to "AF On" so I can leave the AF mode in continuous and use back button focusing. That way I have a hard button for ISO and never have to change AF mode. The only other setting that I change regularly is the metering mode and since the menu remembers the last changed setting when i press the "info" button twice it's usually already on what I want to change so *click click* ready to meter and shoot.

I shall try your settings if you don't mind.

I shall try your settings if you don't mind.

By all means!
I was surprised that the entry-level D5100 has a "back button focusing" option TBH. Once you delve into the menus of the D5100 there are a myriad of advanced options that the average user might overlook.
Back button focusing is great for fast action shots (just like your situation) and in fact it's pretty much the industry standard method for sports photography. Just remember to use single focus point and preferably the center point at that since it's a cross type focusing point. If you haven't already, search google to learn the basics of back button focusing and practice it for awhile. It will feel strange at first but quickly becomes second nature and yields easy, consistent and reliable results. It's also great for focusing and recomposing stationary subjects.

You do keep you eye on the view finder, there is a button to change aperture right where your index finger lies and iso button is in the same position as the d7000 or d90. You can shoot d5000/5100 same as you would a d7000. The certainly are advantages to d7000 and d90 but controlling the exposure triangle is not as heavily weighted as people claim it to be. The only reason to step up to d7000 would be if you had Af lenses not afs or manual lenses, plan to keep them, and want full cls support. I would be hard pressed if I had to pick between 5100 and 7000 but between d90 and 5100, the 5100 every time.

Most reactions

Back