Darkroom setup.

starscream59

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Not sure if this is the right place to post this, if not I apologize. Last fall, I took a film photography class that I absolutely loved. I loved working in a darkroom, the experience was life changing, literally. I've wanted to create my own darkroom in my apartment, but I'm not sure if I have enough space. The only real area I have work is a 8x5 bathroom with a 4ft tub taking up the majority of the space. I'm sure many of you have worked with small areas, but I'm not sure how feasible it is. I'm not sure where I would put an enlarger. There is a cutout to where a shower used to be that is about 3'x3'. I also have an 18" oval sink. I'd really appreciate anyone's input.

Hi. Is this bathroom in regular use ? As a bathroom...

Hi. Is this bathroom in regular use ? As a bathroom...

I thought I had said it, but yes it will be. It'll be used as bathroom during the day while moonlighting as a darkroom.

It is doable, but you will have to plan carefully. If I were facing this challenge, I'd start by looking at a very sturdy rolling cart, because you will not want to leave your enlarger in there, exposed to steam (or any of your photo lab supplies). Keep things in order on cart shelves, and wheel the cart in and out as you need it. Buy a plain shelf board to lay over the tub when you line up your processing trays. A large tray-type print washer will fit right into the tub, you will just need to make sure you can hook your input water into the faucet. A home supply store with plumbing parts will be a big help for those kinds of things. You can hang your prints from the tub shower rod (as well as film) if you like, or lay them face up on a screen.

It will take some effort to get everything to fit into a small workspace, but it's totally doable - just remember cleanliness is vital, and use the bathroom vent when you're in there with the door closed, and air it out later. Wheel the enlarger, trays, paper and chemistry out of the bathroom and if you have a spare closet, let it stay in there between uses. I'd put a large black garbage bag over the enlarger when not in use to keep dust down.

Have you purchased any equipment yet? If not, try to envision the size of everything and stand in the bathroom and see how well you can actually move around. For me, the appropriate cart is the main thing that will either make setup/breakdown relatively easy, or a real PITA. ;) These days enlargers can be found so cheaply you will probably spend more on a good heavy cart than you will the rest of the stuff combined!

Been there done that..........roller cart is a great idea for the enlarger, other than that I made a table that would fit over the toilet to place my enlarger on and another piece of wood to lay over the sink to hold my paper and other tools. I used a piece of marine plywood, cut it to fit over my tub. Used that for the trays and cut out and hinged a trap door to drop the prints into the tub for the wash. Also, the bathroom I used had a vent....YOU NEED A VENT!!!!!!

terri's idea of a rolling cart....OMG...I had never thought of that. Genius! I used to do temporary darkroom work with a very SMALL enlarger, a real cheapie. The baseboard actually fit on the standard apartment sink's cabinet! I still have the thing. The baseboard is small, the column is small, the maximum enlargement size is decent, and it "comes apart" easily with just a wingnut...did the bathroom tub development, but just put the trays right in the tub, so, it was kneel-and-develop-stop-fix. Safelight??? I took the regular bulbs out, and put in a cheezy old round Kodak safelight that musta' been from the 1950's. I loaded my film in a changing back, and developed film in the kitchen, where I had more space.

You really do NOT ned a whole lot of space. Oh, yeah, it is great, but you CAN work out of not much more than an apartment bathroom darkroom if you want to. You can do this!!!!

I've seen the rolling cart idea used to great effect, but due to the angles in the bathroom and the width of the door, it's not very plausible. I really want to do this, it's not a matter of if I'm going to do it, it's a matter of when and how. I haven't bought anything yet, I'm probably going to have to build a table. I'll upload some pics (it's a photography forum, right?) so I can better describe what I'm working with.

...a cheezy old round Kodak safelight that musta' been from the 1950's.

You mean there's something else?! :razz:

Ah, starscream, I did not give consideration to the width of your bathroom door...that does add another challenge. By all means, show us some photos of your space! Trust me, you are surrounded by problem-solving geeks who will offer you more advice than you could ever hope to use. :lol:

Is thephotoforum in tapatalk? (trying to figure the easiest way to upload, I'm a lazy bastard.) Just answered my own question..

Never again am I getting an apartment so small. Width from sink to tub is 23.2".

5u9e2uny.jpg
edetate5.jpg
uta6yry7.jpg
juvehy2e.jpg

Yeppers, that's small. But you don't need water IN a darkroom. It's a lovely convenience but not a necessity (I've never had anything but an unused spare bedroom.) So, you can still decide if a table or a cart that you can move around is your best way to tote things. You will want to have a main place to store everything, but your tray lineup will now include an oversized tray as a holding tray for finished prints. Once you're done printing, you can still transport your prints to the bathroom and use the tub to place your print washer in (as well as hang your film).

Is it a one-bedroom, then? Portable (cart) might still be your best option if you wish to devote a corner of the room to set up, but be able to transport. (You could just carry your holding tray a short distance, I just never liked doing it! :) Sloshy water with prints full of fix, waiting to be fully washed, could lead to a real mess.)

Its a tiny one bedroom with a tiny living room with 8 windows (so no easy darkroom conversion there). At 550sqft, it's quaint to say the least.

Well, at least it's a short trip to the bathroom. ;) There is no real way to keep the darkroom equipment out of the way, it seems. Your best bet may be to work at a table in the bedroom - that way you would at least have fewer windows to cover. Some black artist's tape (gentler on wall paint that you don't want to mess up) and a box of large, heavy-gauge garbage bags will cover your windows. Not the prettiest, but they do work. :) Then your own table set-up, however you can best fit it in there. Add some shelves to store your other stuff, though you may have to talk to your landlord about that first. Since space is a premium, shelving vs. a bookcase might be best.

Never again am I getting an apartment so small. Width from sink to tub is 23.2".

5u9e2uny.jpg
edetate5.jpg
uta6yry7.jpg
juvehy2e.jpg

Mine was smaller than that.....that's why I use a piece of plywood over the tub and used the tub as my wash basin......!

Well, at least it's a short trip to the bathroom. ;) There is no real way to keep the darkroom equipment out of the way, it seems. Your best bet may be to work at a table in the bedroom - that way you would at least have fewer windows to cover. Some black artist's tape (gentler on wall paint that you don't want to mess up) and a box of large, heavy-gauge garbage bags will cover your windows. Not the prettiest, but they do work. :) Then your own table set-up, however you can best fit it in there. Add some shelves to store your other stuff, though you may have to talk to your landlord about that first. Since space is a premium, shelving vs. a bookcase might be best.

Yay! I can multitask lol. My bedroom is about 8x10 already doubling as an office space, so space is scarce.

Mine was smaller than that.....that's why I use a piece of plywood over the tub and used the tub as my wash basin......!

How did you do it exactly? Did you use a piece of plywood over the portion of the tub and set the trays on top of it and then use the remaining portion for a wash basin (is tap water okay to use)?

In regards to darkroom equipment available in my area:

I know the Bessler is obviously of better quality, but if it's not available is the Vivitar worth considering? I think we had a few in highschool, but I don't remember much about them.
Darkroom outfit-Vivitar enlarger,lens,timer,trays and more.
or
Beseler 23C II photo enlarger

Most reactions

New Topics

Back