Darkroom setup.

How did you do it exactly? Did you use a piece of plywood over the portion of the tub and set the trays on top of it and then use the remaining portion for a wash basin (is tap water okay to use)?

In regards to darkroom equipment available in my area:

I know the Bessler is obviously of better quality, but if it's not available is the Vivitar worth considering? I think we had a few in highschool, but I don't remember much about them.
Darkroom outfit-Vivitar enlarger,lens,timer,trays and more.
or
Beseler 23C II photo enlarger

Yep, I just cut the wood to fit over the tub. Put the trays on top (was printing 8x10's only) And cut out a trap door to drop the prints right into the tub for washing. Tap water is just fine to use as a wash. I still to this day just use tap water. All my prints still look just fine. Got to do what you can. And since that Vivitar is very a small enlarger/base I made a table to fit over the toilet for it.

And that's crazy....that is the exact Vivitar enlarger I started out with back in 1982.....I still have it and use it for just 8x10 contact sheets. I did buy a Nikon 50mm enlarging lens, the Vivtar lens are just OK. But the Beseler is a better choice....mainly because the Vivitar is good for up to 8x10 size only.

How did you do it exactly? Did you use a piece of plywood over the portion of the tub and set the trays on top of it and then use the remaining portion for a wash basin (is tap water okay to use)?

I know the Bessler is obviously of better quality, but if it's not available is the Vivitar worth considering? I think we had a few in highschool, but I don't remember much about them.
or

Yep, I just cut the wood to fit over the tub. Put the trays on top (was printing 8x10's only) And cut out a trap door to drop the prints right into the tub for washing. Tap water is just fine to use as a wash. I still to this day just use tap water. All my prints still look just fine. Got to do what you can. And since that Vivitar is very a small enlarger/base I made a table to fit over the toilet for it.

And that's crazy....that is the exact Vivitar enlarger I started out with back in 1982.....I still have it and use it for just 8x10 contact sheets. I did buy a Nikon 50mm enlarging lens, the Vivtar lens are just OK. But the Beseler is a better choice....mainly because the Vivitar is good for up to 8x10 size only.

I had a similar idea of putting the enlarger over the toilet, and i think I have an end table/nightstand that'll work. (Still trying to figure out what would happen if I had to go to the bathroom while making a print....) Anyways, the board seems like a good idea, did you just have a cutout (you aid trap door? Like on door hinges, so you could set a tray on top that you had to move when you washed a print? where you could drop the prints in? Did you have constant running water with the drain open?
I've read some reviews on the vivitar and it seems like while the prints aren't the greatest quality in the world (with the stock lens that is, anyone know the mount type?). Unfortunately the guy who listed the Beseler won't respond back. For right now, I don't plan to print any bigger than 8x10, and if I do I'll send it out to a lab (Can I still print full easel, if I want to crop the negative? (I don't know why I would, just asking))

or

I had a similar idea of putting the enlarger over the toilet, and i think I have an end table/nightstand that'll work. (Still trying to figure out what would happen if I had to go to the bathroom while making a print....) Anyways, the board seems like a good idea, did you just have a cutout (you aid trap door? Like on door hinges, so you could set a tray on top that you had to move when you washed a print? where you could drop the prints in? Did you have constant running water with the drain open?
I've read some reviews on the vivitar and it seems like while the prints aren't the greatest quality in the world (with the stock lens that is, anyone know the mount type?). Unfortunately the guy who listed the Beseler won't respond back. For right now, I don't plan to print any bigger than 8x10, and if I do I'll send it out to a lab (Can I still print full easel, if I want to crop the negative? (I don't know why I would, just asking))

Yes, I used the trap door (hinged) in case I needed more room. I used a rubber drain plug with holes drilled into it, then turned on the water so it would continuously run and drain yet keep a 4-6 inch deep bath of water, you have to keep check and adjust water flow as you go. If you do RC prints the wash time is only 1-2 mins, Fiber paper I wash for 60 min.

With a 50mm lens on the Vivitar you can't do much cropping but you can raise your paper easel with a book or two. Or I used a 25 mm enlarging lens for a few crops......the 25 lens is used to print half-frame 35mm negs. I also did many, many 5x7 prints just for that reason.
Or use the old adage...."crop when you shoot"........then just make full frame 6.5/7x10's.

$00R3X4-75697984.jpg$5109224938_e50da57ce9_z.jpg$00HIIz-31172484.jpg
I like these ideas.

Durst made several models that were designed to break down easily for storage between uses. I found a Durst 600 listed on EBAY, but I believe it is priced too high. Durst M 600 60 x 60mm 2 1 4 x 2 1 4" Photo Enlarger w Schneider Lenses | eBay But it gives you an idea of what might be available. I had a similar model, when not in use it fit on a closet shelf with the stacked trays and other accessories. The chemicals were stored in a large tray on the floor for safety. As long as your enlarger will detach from the base, you should be able to get it into a closet.

The enlarger can be placed on plywood cut to fit over the sink, leaving the toilet operational. Another option may be to fit plywood over the little cabinet with hinged 2 x 4 legs and some kind of lock on the hinges. Either of those can slip under the bed for storage. I like the idea of a rack over the tub for processing trays, saves the knees! Just how high is your bed off the floor?

An alternative is to use color processing drums at the kitchen sink. The drums are light tight, so once the paper is inserted and top closed, you can operate in full light. An 11x14 color drum holds two 8x10 sheets. A motor base is nice, but not essential. They show up on EBAY or local listings periodically. Sure is convenient, and moves the chemistry into a ventilated area.

You can get 6 mil black plastic to hang over the window and door. I am using black felt attached with a bit of velcro over my door. A towel or old blanket will seal off the bottom.

The main thing is enjoy and be safe.

Phil

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back