Dawn & the lighthouse

Didereaux

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Website
tinyurl.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Not really a lighthouse, just a replica at one of the parks. But photogenic! ;)
web-4714.jpg

web-4664.jpg

For me, the first shot has too much dark nothingness between the nice water reflections and the pretty sky. Also the tower seems to be leaning a bit. The second one is a pretty silhouette with great sky but again too much undefined darkness with the bushes.

For me, the first shot has too much dark nothingness between the nice water reflections and the pretty sky. Also the tower seems to be leaning a bit. The second one is a pretty silhouette with great sky but again too much undefined darkness with the bushes.

Although I see your point. all that dark nothingness actually existed. I was trying, and I think I came close to getting the exposure correct for accurate representation at those moments. Artificially lightening those bushes/trees makes it look ...well, artificial. Which it is .
The cropping is not ideal on either. The top one is more or less locked in because of the placement of the lighthouse and the rays of the rising sun. I moved around a lot to get shot with them closer, but all of them placed the highest bushes/trees in front of the lighthouse and cut most of it off. The second, when I go to print it will have about 15% off top and left which should improve that light dark balance considerably.

I have every intention of watching the ephemeris for a better sunrise angle and re-shooting that scene...maybe several times...it is a very peaceful place at dawn

thanks for the input.

Although I see your point. all that dark nothingness actually existed. I was trying, and I think I came close to getting the exposure correct for accurate representation at those moments. Artificially lightening those bushes/trees makes it look ...well, artificial.

Human eyes have a greater dynamic range than today's camera sensors. Personally, I always like to see details in the shadows and in the highlights. I don't think it has to look artificial. Perhaps, we tend to think that the standard dynamic range of film/digital sensor is natural. I would say that the dynamic range of human eyes is more natural. Sometimes 'the correct exposure' doesn't exist. Full-frame sensors made by Sony (Nikon uses them too) have a great dynamic range, but in cases like this, I prefer to bracket the exposures, and if I cannot lift the shadows in Lightroom in one RAW file, I blend two exposures in PS and use mask opacity slider to achieve a 'natural look'.

Although I see your point. all that dark nothingness actually existed. I was trying, and I think I came close to getting the exposure correct for accurate representation at those moments. Artificially lightening those bushes/trees makes it look ...well, artificial.

Human eyes have a greater dynamic range than today's camera sensors. Personally, I always like to see details in the shadows and in the highlights. I don't think it has to look artificial. Perhaps, we tend to think that the standard dynamic range of film/digital sensor is natural. I would say that the dynamic range of human eyes is more natural. Sometimes 'the correct exposure' doesn't exist. Full-frame sensors made by Sony (Nikon uses them too) have a great dynamic range, but in cases like this, I prefer to bracket the exposures, and if I cannot lift the shadows in Lightroom in one RAW file, I blend two exposures in PS and use mask opacity slider to achieve a 'natural look'.

I believe that is what I tried to say. This photos dynamic range is adjusted to what my eyes saw!. not what the camera software says is correct.

I do like the first one Didereaux. For me just the right balance between the actual and the reflection and the crepuscular rays on the right are a good contrast to the lighthouse. I can't say I have ever seen a lighthouse quite like that, it is more like and ornamental summer house. If the image was any lighter it would be just another picture, I think the lateness of the hour makes it a bit special.

I do like the first one Didereaux. For me just the right balance between the actual and the reflection and the crepuscular rays on the right are a good contrast to the lighthouse. I can't say I have ever seen a lighthouse quite like that, it is more like and ornamental summer house. If the image was any lighter it would be just another picture, I think the lateness of the hour makes it a bit special.

Thank you!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back