day light balanced bulbs???????

sabenemmons

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I went to a local camera shop today to buy a 80A filter so i could take photos with indoor lights with out the tugstan (sp) film. The guy behind the counter said that if i wanted to he had "photographers day light bulbs" in 500 watts, I am unable to find these anywhere on line and was just curious if he was maybe takling about thouse new bulbs that are out at any hardware store that are supposed to be more like day light. or if it was a special bulb
saben

Would need some more info before I could tell you. He could be talking about halogens or photofloods or photographic lamps or... They all run at different colour temperatures so require different filtration.
You would do best to stick with the Wratten 80A.

They are usually just daylight balanced flouresent lights. They typically cost alot more, and the color temperature doesn't usually stay constant, it fluxuates a little bit. I'd stick with tungsten.

it's a special photography bulb - they work well,
but last for a couple of hours only 'til the color
temperature shifts... stuff from the hardware store
doesn't work (been there, done that)

Yeah... they're BLUE photo blubs. They come in handy when photographing a scene where there's a lot of daylight mixed with some tungsten lighting. Just make sure when swapping these bulbs for the garden variety kind, you put them only in fixtures that can handle the heat and volts needed.

Most reactions

Back