Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Website
nickerwin.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I made a mistake. Please delete.

Last edited:
Even with a shallow depth of field part of the shot has to be in focus...

Even with a shallow depth of field part of the shot has to be in focus...

Maybe you need to get your glasses on. I'm done with this conversation. Thanks for your input.

DOF is a function of distance to the subject, aperture, and focal length of your lens (longer=more, shorter=less). I like to add a fourth criteria, artistic intent.

The EXIF isn't showing but looking at the images I see extremely thin focus points, which puts the images in focus but suggest a wide open lens shot at a minimum focal distance, creating a DOF to thin to render the flowers in sharp focus. If that was the intent, then it becomes a matter of the fourth point above.

I've created these types of shots over the years, especially with flowers, but IMO I feel it's important to remember that you need a strong focal point to lock the viewers eye in any image. There's a difference between focal point and focus point in an image. A focal point can be sharpness, color, brightness, oddity, etc. In your images I picked up on color. I don't find the thin DOF objectionable at the resolution presented, when viewing the image as its whole.

DOF is a function of distance to the subject, aperture, and focal length of your lens (longer=more, shorter=less). I like to add a fourth criteria, artistic intent.

The EXIF isn't showing but looking at the images I see extremely thin focus points, which puts the images in focus but suggest a wide open lens shot at a minimum focal distance, creating a DOF to thin to render the flowers in sharp focus. If that was the intent, then it becomes a matter of the fourth point above.

I've created these types of shots over the years, especially with flowers, but IMO I feel it's important to remember that you need a strong focal point to lock the viewers eye in any image. There's a difference between focal point and focus point in an image. A focal point can be sharpness, color, brightness, oddity, etc. In your images I picked up on color. I don't find the thin DOF objectionable at the resolution presented, when viewing the image as its whole.

Most of them are at f/11-f/14. But these are very small and I'm at 1:1 on a full frame sensor...there is still lots of shallow depth of field.

I just simply wanted to share these crappy images, I wasn't necessarily looking to be critiqued so broadly. If I wanted such, I'd mention it. I been trying to get myself back into enjoying photography again (FOR FUN) after being being so discouraged, lack of inspiration and this just set me back again feeling discouraged and questioning why I even bother taking pictures. I don't know why I choose to share my photos anyways, I guess I thought maybe others might like them or feel inspired by them but perhaps I'm wrong.

asn't necessarily looking to be critiqued so broadly. If I wanted such, I'd mention

Posting in the Photo Gallery threads are for discussion and critique whether you ask for it or not. I refer you to the heading of this fthread - "Nature & Wildlife -For all your outdoor shots, which may include your encounters with wildlife. Post for discussion and feedback, including general critique.". If you don't want critique then it's wise to say so, but be aware that doing so limits your responses. Or better yet, post in the "Just for fun", or one of the theme categories.

FYI- I never said anything negative about your images. I've always found TPF to be a place to share for collaboration, critique and advice. If you're looking to improve, build your skills and confidence in your work, this is the place, but if the only thing you're looking for is someone to stoke your ego then you'll be disappointed.

Posting in the Photo Gallery threads are for discussion and critique whether you ask for it or not. I refer you to the heading of this fthread - "Nature & Wildlife -For all your outdoor shots, which may include your encounters with wildlife. Post for discussion and feedback, including general critique.". If you don't want critique then it's wise to say so, but be aware that doing so limits your responses. Or better yet, post in the "Just for fun", or one of the theme categories.

FYI- I never said anything negative about your images. I've always found TPF to be a place to share for collaboration, critique and advice. If you're looking to improve, build your skills and confidence in your work, this is the place, but if the only thing you're looking for is someone to stoke your ego then you'll be disappointed.

You got it. I won't post here anymore. Thanks for the heads up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back