Didn't think this would work

lostprophet

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
The Cormorants were just too far away the other day so for a laugh (yeah I really should get out more) I thought I'd stack my extenders.

EOS 1D mkII
EF 300 2.8 IS
1.4x extender
2x extender

So 1092mm in 35mm terms at F8 (which was wide open)

The camera didn't really like having extenders stacked as the EXIF was a bit confused, it seems to think the focal length was 600mm and the aperture was F5.7 which is an aperture I've never seen before on my Canon:confused:

The autofocus was pretty much spot on though

click image for high res

It looks much clearer in the high res version. Good job.

(Stupid question here...I thought autofocus doesn't work well when the extenders are on?)

It looks much clearer in the high res version. Good job.

(Stupid question here...I thought autofocus doesn't work well when the extenders are on?)

On your average Canon body AF will not work above F5.6 lenses with or without the Canon extenders but on the EOS 1 series you can autofocus at F8 so.... my F2.8 lens x the 2xextender = F5.6 x the 1.4extender = F8 which means I can autofocus

going to try it again later with a 1.4x and a 2x and another 2x (my god I'm some kind of crazy fool)

hey, central sharpness seems certainly ok. The Bokeh is a bit unusual, maybe ...

But what I really wonder, what about mechanical stability? ;) everything fits tightly?

hey, central sharpness seems certainly ok. The Bokeh is a bit unusual, maybe ...

But what I really wonder, what about mechanical stability? ;) everything fits tightly?
yeah the bokeh is a bit odd

As for stability, the whole lot was mounted on a Wimberley 2 head on a Gitzo series 3 tripod, very stable, the lens was on the head and those Canon extenders and body are designed for a lot of weight but I was wearing the camera strap just in case

hmm, unfortunately I only have one extender, so I cannot build a similar monster ;)

you know Alex there are some idiots on this Planet that have 3 extenders!!

I am one of those idiots

Most reactions

Back