Digital I.R.

jstuedle

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.picture-daddy.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Is anyone doing Digital IR? I have played with my D1 and D1X, a Lee #87 and a Hoya 72 (not at the same time :wink: ). I can get outstanding B&W images but not the stunning false color images that I have seen on the net. Any sugestions? I have been led to believe the D1 series is more sensitive to IR than other makes of DSLR, or even the new D2 series. My shots come out all shades of magenta, then I convert to B&W for viewable prints. I feel I'm missing something basic. My standard setup is the camera on tripod, 35mm f/2.0 at 2.8, shutter at 1/60, ISO 125 with either of the above filters, usally the Hoya 72. I adjust the shutter speed based on the histogram. In CS I open the RAW image and adjust white balance and exposure to suit. After the image is tweeked, I use a Fred Mirands action to convert to B&W. I have used PS to adjust about everything to attempt to acheave the false color blues and greens, but have never been satisfied. Like I said, the B&W looks pretty good. Here is one of my better false color shots:

Still not what I'm looking for.

For best results with false color, I would use the R72. Make sure and get a good exposure, even if that means 30 seconds to a minute of shutter time. Shoot raw, and white balance by clicking a spot on some foliage that would normally be green. Then open the converted file in photoshop and duplicate the background. Invert it and set its' blend mode to color. You should have a bluish sky, and you can further color balance from there. (color balance/selective color/curves/levels) Also try adding a hue/sat adjustment layer, (do not colorize) and adjusting the hue.

I have NO CLUE as to what I'm talking about on this, so bear with me.

I was under the impression that the red IR filter isn't a true IR filter. Am I wrong on this?

Secondly I was under the impression that most (all) digital camera's are highly sensitive to IR light and therefore have a filter built-in to block it. And that the only way to get a true IR digital is by removing the built-in filter, (a rather permanent move). Although with external filter's it's possible to get fairly close to the same look.

Am I way off on both of these?

sorta right in both parts there.

The red filter isn't a true IR filter, but it does cut out enough of the bad light you don't want so it's suitable for IR stuff.

The digital cameras do have IR blocking filters built in, but they're not 100%. My 350D does a good job of capturing IR light in the dark. (Just try and take a photo of your tv remote in a dark room)... but i wouldn't even think of trying it in daylight. I'd probably need the proper IR filter and a really long exposure to get anything decent.

Thanks for the reply's everyone. Sorry, but I'v been away and couldn't respond sooner. Thanks Matt for your input. I have set WB on grass with the Hoya 72 in place. I can get the same value by sliding the WB setting down the K2800 or so when opening RAW in CS. The rest of your workflow is something I need to try. Hopefully I will have time to play this weekend after catching up on my "real work". Thanks again all, you guys are a great help.

Hmmm.... All this talk of photoshop and "actions" (that term cracks me up for some reason) isn't really in the spirit of alternative photographic processes, so if you guys want to discuss this further, I'll place this thread in the graphics forum where it will get some more views and perhaps more input.

Cheerio! :)

-signed, a Kodak HIE user :sexywink:

I would be interested to see the B&W version of this if you could post? thanks, Shaun

Here is both the unedited image and a B&W conversion using Fred Miranda B&W pro action.

On the Adobe site someone has put up a pretty cool action called "InfaRAD". It's pretty good.:mrgreen:

I'm thinking of doing it to my D1. I have had it open, no problem. Just have to get around to spending the $100 on the filter.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back