discuss fairness or un-fairness at the Beijing Olympics

Hawaii Five-O

My alter-egos have been banned. :( Now I must be
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
discuss nicely;)

IMO some of the judges look to be bias to the Chinese.

The major thing for me that I don't understand how it wasn't made into a huge thing here in Australia was when Jessica Schipper got a bronze in the 100 butterfly the whole field was drug tested but the Gold & Silver medalist who happened to be Chinese.

Here in Australia we heard something for a few seconds from the parents and our press asked the question to the AOC & IOC and didn't get a reply.

There have always been 'fair' and 'unfair' in the Olympics. It really only becomes an issue when the US feels it's the one getting hurt.

There have always been 'fair' and 'unfair' in the Olympics. It really only becomes an issue when the US feels it's the one getting hurt.
I haven't seen the yanks get done by any "unfairness" yet.

The 200m last night showed that, a silver was taken off the US, given to someone else and then taken off him and giving to the 4th place who was from the USA.

I love the games, you could say I live for these moments every 4 years. IMO China will never get the games again, too many stuff ups, the crowds are very low & the media have been "watched" when we were told they were free to report everything.

I love watching the games too. And while I really like watching the gymnastics, the scoring always bugs me because it is subjective. The "stars" always have and always will get better scores because of who they are. Case in point, the girl Chinese gymnast who landed on her knee in the vault still got a higher score than those that stuck their landings.

I think with these games though, there are a lot of questions surrounding the Chinese and the IOC's apparent lack of desire to investigate. Once again, take the girls gymnastics squad. One look at them and it is obvious some of them are not 16. On Nov. 3, 2007 the official Chinese governments news agency posted on their web site that He Kexin was 13. Once the AP saw that last week, it was removed that afternoon (http://sports.espn.go.com/oly/summer08/gymnastics/news/story?id=3534544). Did the IOC do anything, no. Don't want to offend the host country....

But there are some really great moments, no matter what country you are from. I was rooting for Bolt (Jamaican) in the 100 & 200 meters, Melaine Walker (another Jamaican and UT student!) in the 400 hurdles, Anton Fokin (Uzbekistan's first gymnastics medal), etc. Although I like seeing the US win, I love a good underdog.

I can't really tell if the scoring is good or not, cause I don't watch these events enough to know what is what. But if you listen and trust the announcers, there have been some discrepancies. But its very soon still for some of these questions to be answered. I'm sure some issues will be addressed, and by the IOC, not the possibly-biased officials. I guess what I'm trying to say is I have moderate faith that whatever wrongs may have occurred will be righted if they were indeed done incorrectly. But with gymnastics, I hear its openly subjective. They said that the judges like the fluid, more graceful styles over the more powerful styles even when both are done well. And that didn't bode well for the US team. But once again, I could be wrong.

And even though the US is at the top of the medal count, they are getting pwned by the Chinese. Currently they have 27 gold medals, but considering 8 of them were won by one person, they're really not putting up as good of a show as they usually do.

The part that excites me is when these tiny countries get golds. You know that a person from (insert small country here) winning gold probably has more meaning to his/her fans at home than the US. But that's not to take away anything from the really good countries, either.

Saw the balance beam event a couple days ago. I am happy that the U.S. won gold and silver, their performances were very good but I can't for the life of me figure out how the Chinese bronze won the bronze over the other competitors. Her performance had a lot of mistakes and balance checks. I'm not a good judge on difficulty but even the commentators were shocked at how high of a score she was awarded.

From the limited coverage I have seen, I haven't really seen too much unfairness. A lot seems to revolve around the Women's Gymnastics; possible age violation and unusual bias in scoring.

btw... hope you guys caught Women's Beach volleyball... The U.S. team (undefeated this year I think) rocked! Diving was interesting... the Chinese did very well in that event.

I don't like Olympic sports that don't have a clear cut winner. Examples are Gymnastics, Diving, Sync Swimming and so on...if there isn't a winner by time, distance, or score then I'm not interested, because everything else is just subjective to the judges.

I don't like Olympic sports that don't have a clear cut winner. Examples are Gymnastics, Diving, Sync Swimming and so on...if there isn't a winner by time, distance, or score then I'm not interested, because everything else is just subjective to the judges.

And the losers always scream "unfair!".

In the women basketball gold medal game there were a few bad calls against Australia, some of the calls seemed to be more based on WNBA rules that Olympic.

And in boxing the TV announcers have been talking a lot about the scoring system uses be un-consistent at the Olympics and other events

Last edited:
And in boxing the TV announcers have been talking a lot about the scoring system use in be un-consistent at the Olympics and other events

Judging in boxing has always been a mess in the olympics (and out of it too, for that matter).

Hmm, would anyone be amazed if I said that I watched nothing of the Olympics on TV? Not the opening ceremony, not any of the competitions ...

Hmm, would anyone be amazed if I said that I watched nothing of the Olympics on TV? Not the opening ceremony, not any of the competitions ...

Well, at least we know what happened to the condoms :)

I frankly would've preferred if the US didn't get any medals, because we as a country need to be knocked down a peg or three in terms of cockiness towards our role in the world.

But honestly, there were some seriously bad calls by the judges during competition. Not only the matches that ruled in favor of the chinese, but in general.

Well, at least we know what happened to the condoms :)
You mean this?

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/olympics/article4582421.ece

" I am often asked if the Olympic village - the vast restaurant and housing conglomeration that hosts the world's top athletes for the duration of the Games - is the sex-fest it is cracked up to be. My answer is always the same: too right it is... Barcelona was, for many of us Olympic virgins, as much about sex as it was about sport....There is a famous story from Seoul in 1988 that there were so many used condoms on the roof terrace of the British team's residential block the night after the swimming concluded that the British Olympic Association sent out an edict banning outdoor sex. Here in Beijing, organisers have realised that such prohibitions are about as useful as banning breathing and have, instead, handed out thousands of free condoms to the athletes. If you can't stop 'em, at least make it safe."

Most reactions

Back