DIY, the $3.00 dual flash bracket

I finally got around to trying Jerry's grill paint idea. Works Great!!!!! I used a 1/2" sanding drum on my Dremil at low speed and roughed up the surface of the bracket. Takes about 5 min. per bracket, add couple of light coats of grill spray pain and presto! Nice pro looking bracket without a hint of the DIY look. Oh, and first thing you will need to do is peel off the bar code sticker and remove it's glue gunk. That is a dead give away of a DIY project every time.

Ok, here I spend all this money on a D700 and you are telling me that all I needed to do to get better lit pics was a 3 dollar bracket... lol.

Actually, I do want to do this. For Christmas I want to order 2 more SB-600s and do just this with them on 2 umbrellas. Because the kind of hotshoe adapters I got from flashzebra has 2 sync port openings, one could conceivably use 1 receiver to trigger 2 flashes easily enough.

Thanks Jerry!

My pleasure. A lot of people helped me out here, so I consider it a privilege when I can return the favor.

5135-Nikon_10282008_1827-DSC_5480-web.jpg

If you are like me, all the small parts were already available. If not, then your milage may vary. In other words your cost may be in the $25-$30 range. Still, that beats $200.00 plus price of many dual brackets out there.

I would find a better way to mount the Wizards even if it's with gaffers tape. I wouldn't trust that dental-floss gauged string to hold up $500 worth of electronics.

I would find a better way to mount the Wizards even if it's with gaffers tape. I wouldn't trust that dental-floss gauged string to hold up $500 worth of electronics.

Actually, the same hole the pocket wizards wrist strap is shown being fed through will also permit you to use a 1/4-20 bolt to mount the PW. It's close but doable. I personally have never had an issue with the strap, the PW's are so light even with batteries, it's a non-issue in my mind. Just take a quick look-see to verify no fraying or noticeable wear on the strap.

jstuedle -
You inspired me to take another approach. I found another thread which talked about stripping the galvanizing off with chemicals and the danger. So I took a piece of flat stock 3/4" wide and cut a piece off about 7-inches long. Then I marked the flat bar three holes to drill for 1/4x20 bolt. Drilled the holes. Next I took my electric drill and a wire brush attachment and removed the galvanizing, to bare "bright metal" condition. For safety, use safety glasses, ear protection and a glove. The wire brush action on the metal makes the bar stock too hot to the bare skin touch.
I have just sprayed the first coat white primer paint. Total time 1-hour 30-minutes. I will wait for the paint to dry for 24-hours, then give one additional coat of primer and three coats of black paint.
I am making two for each of my stands and umbrellas.
Thanks for the inspiration, my cost was only the Stroboframe universal show mounts.

Primer won't stick to galvanizing? Cool idea overall though. I love how frugal strobists are, heh.

Out of curiosity I looked up those flash units on e-bay and saw they usually sell for about $150 a piece. So, for this two flash set up about $300.

Makes me wonder why not buy an AB strobe instead. New, the B400 is $225 and the B800 is $280. So that for about the same price or less you get a strobe designed for the kind of work. And if you buy used equipment it may get cheaper.

I think the Strobist thing is a great way to learn but I don't get it when you end up with a bag full of flash units that are not really designed for the work demanded of them.

WIth 2 speedlites you have a lighter, smaller, more versitle setup. You can go dual in one umbrella or setup one as a main light and the other as a hair light or catch light. You just have a lot more flexibility.

I have both, and believe there are places for each.

Right.. SO you spend $3 and throw this in your bag. In the event you need more power, you might be able to just pop 2 flashes in the umbrella or softbox. This could keep you from having to bring out the larger studio lights and portable power for it.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back